is a 5 gallon tank good for quarintine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allaboutfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
was just wandering bc i might get a 5 for a betta and then when i need to quarantine i will just move it to a 2.5 gallon. will it be ok? or is it too small?
:banghead:

allaboutfish said:
was just wandering bc i might get a 5 for a betta and then when i need to quarantine i will just move it to a 2.5 gallon. will it be ok? or is it too small?
:banghead:

That won't be good for the Betta. Do you have the Betta? Why not if you have it, get it it's own permanent home, and get another tank for qt.

my mom is barely thinking about the 5 gallon, and i would really like another betta, but a quarantine might be a must with corys, and there no tolerance to salt issue that's why i though i could just put the betta in the 2.5 for a week when using the quarantine.

i got the 5 gallon and was thinking about just setting it up as a qt until i had my 29 gallon fully stocked and then stocking it. would this be good?

Allaboutfish, I think you're missing the concept of a QT or hospital tank.

A quarantine / hospital tank isn't meant to be set up and running like a show tank. It's really meant to only be brought out of the closet when you have to quarantine new fish or take a diseased fish out of a show tank to isolate and treat it.

I have a 2.5g tank sitting in the box waiting to be used. Granted, it's not really a great QT since it's only 2.5 gallons, but it will do in a pinch for a hospital tank. The filter for this tank is running as a backup on my 10g tank. Once I need it, I can fill it with dechlorinated water, take that filter out of my 10g, put it in my hospital tank, and I'll have an instantly cycled tank ready for fish.

ok so im thinking of just getting a plastic container and getting a filter and heater for it and putting the extra filter on my 10 gallon. got the idea from mr.limpet. :) this'll work right?

ok so im thinking of just getting a plastic container and getting a filter and heater for it and putting the extra filter on my 10 gallon. got the idea from mr.limpet. :) this'll work right?

Yep, that's the right way to keep a QT. Only I recommend you use a 50/50 mix of tank/tap (cured) water. There's more to tank water than bacteria, it's chemistry is balanced to what a sick fish (any fish really) is use to. By setting it up with the 50/50 mix, it's a cured/cycled tank with a 50% PWC. Total time to set up 00:09:55, or about 10 minutes :D.

Back
Top Bottom