Is a top needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bri1218

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
I was planning on building a 100g tank for my common pleco, but it is too hard for me to figure out. As I was at the store, I looked at a few pond tubs. I live in an apartment, and thought maybe I can keep the tub indoors? My main question though, is I heard plecos will jump out and thats why they need a top on their tank, is this true? Or could this work? I know its a bit strange but it is much cheaper than building or buying a huge tank. Thanks for any advice!

I had a tank with no top, a while ago, and my bristlenose would always jump into the hang on back filter.
One bristlenose did eventually jump out, in middle of night while I was asleep, and I found it next morning ;/

Not sure if that's with all plecos/bristlenose fish though.

I don't have lids on my tanks, even my big 220g which has a BNP and Whiptail cats. I've summered large pleco's in outside ponds and honestly in 30+ years I've never had a pleco jump ship. In 07 I had a new pond put in right up against the sunroom and had a couple 100g plastic ponds in the sunroom housing fish and a pleco during construction and never had an issue with the pleco. He was around 10 or more inches.

Oh lol tht would be cool haha can you have a above ground pond ? Just keep it outside with a heater ow much would it cost if I want a few comets or koi or goldfish ? Wonder if roomates would let me .. We have a nice back porch and are renting what would cost be?

They are too shallow to keep fish outside in the cold winter. I have a 4 season glass heated and cooled sunroom. Plus they are a PITA to keep the water filtered.

Back
Top Bottom