is black spot a disease in blood red parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought my parrot as a juvie and it was greyish/black. It went through some color changes recently. First a yellow/grey and then a light orange. Now the orange is getting brighter but she also has some patchy black areas on her forehead that come and go.

I have researched the web a bit and have found some sites that say this is black spot and it is a sign of stress and I have found other sites that say that it is just part of the process of going through color changes.

Should I worry or not worry?

talloulou Just a question how long did it take your parrot to change colour? I've had mine for almost a year and is almost 4 inches and still hasn't changed colours? They told me it would turn red as it matured. I think they gipped me and didn't give me a blood red parrot.
Thanks

Toirtis said:
The black blotches are a normal occurrance as part of the colour change of the fish.

Ok good thanks. She looks really healthy and active and eats like a pig but I wanted to be sure.

Aquarium Freak said:
talloulou Just a question how long did it take your parrot to change colour? I've had mine for almost a year and is almost 4 inches and still hasn't changed colours? They told me it would turn red as it matured. I think they gipped me and didn't give me a blood red parrot.
Thanks

I bought my blood red parrot in June. It was about the size of a quarter and grey with some black markings. She really started changing colors a few weeks ago. She would go from grey to yellowish to grey again. Then she stayed pale yellow for a few days then light orange and now her orange is darkening.

I feed the fish apx 3 times a day and I try to make sure they get a really varied diet of frozen foods, live foods (earthworm & crickets), vegetables, flakes, pellets, and wafers. At each meal they are offered something different.
Not sure if diet affects how fast/slow they change colors but I think it might.

True, the black spots are a normal part of the color change. However, sometimes you will notice black spots appearing that you didn't see before. Those spots are due to stress and/or water quality, and can be a good indication that your parrot will appreciate a pwc. :D It sounds to me like yours is happy and is just in the process of changing color. Just out of curiosity, does your parrot live with your severums? If so, you may want to watch out. My larger parrot used to live with my severum but I had to rehome him once my severum outgrew him. They had some pretty nasty fights, and of course the parrot was at a distinct disadvantage being unable to close his mouth. :( He now lives happily with my smaller parrot. Not saying this will happen to you, but just keep an eye on your sevs.

Thanks
Impossible. There are no other fish that look like parrots that could be mistaken for them. I mean, they kinda look like a midas or red devil, but as those are already orange, you would know the difference. Every fish is different and there is no specific time when they change color. It will happen eventually.

We are getting a bigger tank soon as my 55 will be too small once my fish are full grown anyway. Hopefully there won't be any problems until then. I plan on moving the severums to the bigger tank and leaving the parrot in the 55 gallon.

There are some parrots that don't completly turn. I've seen some in the fish store that were blotched in coloration. It wasn't the typical stress bar but was more like they were changing from the gray/black to the yellow but it wasn't finished changing yet. But the parrots were larger. The woman said that they get some in occasionally that don't completly change. They just send them back to the supplier. The ones I saw were about 5 inches in size.

well. i had parrots and the black spots came and went. doesnt really seem a disease to me. however if it gets serious then counsult your lfs for medications.

just wait and see if it goes or becomes serious...

Back
Top Bottom