Is bluestone ok to put in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today I was looking around my yard for new rocks to put in my cichlid tank, and I found a gigantic square of bluestone . I smashed it all up with a sledge hammer into smaller pieces. It looks great and I want to combine it with some round rocks.

Here is the stone.

img_805550_0_87338acc581f5f9e1328b2698aac76eb.jpg

img_805550_1_49f091413f69177abb628887dd5b7600.jpg

img_805550_2_58a9cade01215151c15c5d3768d47bbb.jpg

I boiled a portion of the rocks, and the yellow stuff isn't coming off. Since I boiled it, do I really have a reason to be concerned?

The yellow is probably a lichen, unless there is a ton of it I wouldn't worry about it. It will probably come off on its own once in the tank.

The pics looks like a metamorphic rock (the shiny layers are a tip off), something like shale, phyllite or slate. Doesn't matter what it is exactly, point is that it IS safe for your tank!

Those shiny layers could be because it is wet lol, but I am not rock pro. It is bluestone, that's all I know.

img_806182_0_eacc08514704a45e4d0c0a7afb6f8507.jpg

Bluestone is "related" to slate, which has those shiny layers too.
If you're still worried about the lichen, stick some of the rocks in a bucket of water, test the pH and kH, wait a week or two and test again. If they haven't changed, then you're all set!

I don't mind about pH since it's going in a cichlid tank. I am only at 7.8(which I think is minimum for cichlids), so a nice boost would be great. I always thought lichen was greenish, but I guess thats only on trees lol.

I have some of the whiter stones you have there, i had them in my turtle tank for a while, but i added a large piece in my rainbow tank... and everything seems to be fine. I got mine at a landscaping place.

You'll have fun making caves with that rock! I used some sandstone in an angelfish tank once (set up for my work) and it looked great. The flat rocks really make aquascaping easy, and your cichlids will love the extra caves. Be sure to post some pics when you get it in the tank!

I really like the look of your stone with the color of the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom