Is breeding overrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I, like I am sure many of you, was so excited when I got my first batch of fry, but then I get all these babies that I don't know what to do with. I have bred so many different type of fish I am so done with it now. I think I am going to do my best to never get another pair.

So who out there is at the same point as me? Also anyone out there looking at getting into breeding if so why?

Aww man, my fundalopanchax just dropped 7/8 fry, I was pretty excited at first but now I'm realizing I really have no good way to house them. Luckily my Lfs will buy them before they are full grow, I see Rubbermaid containers in my future..

your lucky I have about 300 fry from 2 batches 3 months apart and I have no shops around me that have room for them. I guess I could put rubber made containers in the basements. but then they will breed again! The basement is almost always dark that's not a good life.

Firemouths. You actually have me thinking of how it would work. Water changes would be difficult I have no water outlets down stairs. i have one of those dank dark new engleand celars with lime stone walls. looks more like a dungeon lol.

I think I am going to have to separate them and use the babies as feeders. I need to move south where its warm and I could set up something like that in my garage. They are actually now up on the classified section if you want to take a look.

Oscars are sick! Hang poly sheeting on walls and from ceiling,2x4 and plywood benches, than you could do gravity wc w buckets! All in with lights and bins $$125!

hahaha yeah I will run that one by my wife :) these aren't oscars they are firemouth cichlids from the same region but different completely

hahaha yeah I will run that one by my wife :) these aren't oscars they are firemouth cichlids from the same region but different completely
I'm guessing boss will say no way! Do you have a pic? One of my lps has some labeled fire mouth oscars, don't think I've seen yours.

Easiest way to avoid all that other than having an all male or female only tank is to not separate the fry and let nature take it's course. It's not cruel either. Think about it, not all fry survives in the wild, there are predators.

Easiest way to avoid all that other than having an all male or female only tank is to not separate the fry and let nature take it's course. It's not cruel either. Think about it, not all fry survives in the wild, there are predators.

All valid points. I don't know if this is a valid point to make but in the wild the fry would have billions of gallons of water as their domain and more than adequate hiding places. Whereas a tank is small and it is almost inevitable that almost all the fry will be eaten. But yeah I think u hit the nail on the head.

Well than I am conducting an experiment because I did not know any better and put 7/8 fry in with their psycho parents, let's see how it plays out, hunger games 10gal style, here's the playing field, notice I favored the lil guys with tons if rock piles;)

image-2921519718.jpg

Well than I am conducting an experiment because I did not know any better and put 7/8 fry in with their psycho parents, let's see how it plays out, hunger games 10gal style, here's the playing field, notice I favored the lil guys with tons if rock piles;)

There'll be that one fry from district 2 that will eat the parents :D

All valid points. I don't know if this is a valid point to make but in the wild the fry would have billions of gallons of water as their domain and more than adequate hiding places. Whereas a tank is small and it is almost inevitable that almost all the fry will be eaten. But yeah I think u hit the nail on the head.

They may have a ton of water but there are also tons of natural predators in the wile that will eat most all the way up to adulthood. This isn't the most common thing in community aquariums.

Animals have a surprisingly low survival rate in the wild due to predation.

I had a million Jacks no one would take them. About 25-30 survived which is a lot for a big fish. Before they got too big I found them homes. I have bought 4 tanks because of breeding! And I still love to see them breed and want all of my babies to make it! Live bearers are easier they don't have quite as many. I have grand fish now! Love me! Wish I was near you I want some of your fry!

However I did separate my Jack pair. Can't house anymore too many at one time. We would have hunger games here if they did.

Longview Texas. Tons of em here! Wish you were closer I could give you some!

Back
Top Bottom