Is everything alright with my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sagar77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
By the grace of God, my foray into this great hobby has been great. I have had my 30 gallon freshwater tank for7 months now with only 5 casualties, and none for the last 4 months.

Now everything is going great! I just wanted to run my tank-stats by the experts here just to make sure my stocking-level is correct and so is my maintenance. Here is the info on my tank. Feel free to suggest improvements:

Size: 30 Gallon Tall
Filter: Whisper power filter for 30 gallon tanks
Temp: 78 deg F
Feeding: Once a day- flakes and sinking pellets
Plants: No live plants
Light: Flourescent light for 8 hours daily
Water change: 20% every 2 weeks with gravel vacuum
Filter cartridge change: Once a month. Retain the frame from old filter.
Ph: 6.8 to 7.0
No additives or limestone used

Fish Stocking:
6 neon tetras
6 spotted dwarf cory cats
1 dwarf sunflame gourami
3 Platys (1 male, 2 female)
3 fancy guppies (1male, 2 female)
1 Otto
1 Apple snail

Feel free to comment.

Thanks.

:D Your fish are happy. You're happy. We're all happy.

Looks like you're doing a great job!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Thanks BrianNY! Apprecaite it!

Does anyone else ahve any comments or concerns about my fishtank set-up?

Sagar

Your water change is a little low. Most recomend around 30% every week. Also when you change the filter pad and keeping the frame you don't mean you are throwing the whole white pad away right? That is what the bacteria grows on and if you throw it away it's almost like starting the cycle process all over again. It may look dirty but that's ok. Just get a bucket of tank water and squeeze the filter a few times to get rid of all the large particles that may block the flow. Don't change the pad untill it starts to fall apart or gets too clogged. When you do change it keep the old one in for like 2 weeks to help the bacteria form on the new filter.

Biznatch,

What? Are you sure of this? MY practice is that once a month I chnage the filter pad. I throw the white stuff away and put on a new filter bag. However, I keep the old frame.

Is this not the right practice? Can anyone please give me a second opinion? Thanks.

Sagar

just the two points i was going to make. Most filter foams can last up to year, the manufacturer claims otherwise to keep you buying the products. Rinse it in tank water and good to go.

Around 25% weekly pwc is suggested and you do have enough fish that could warrant this amount. Or just do the 20% weekly instead of every two weeks.

Not a must but your fish might enjoy some different foods for some variety. Maybe try a little frozen brine shrimp, they'll love it. Make sure you thaw the shrimp before putting in the tank though.

Your tank setup sounds beautiful and your choice of fish sounds very entertaining. The only things I would think about changing are your PWCs (20% a week would be great) and possibly your filter, although this is just a matter of preference. I like to filter my tanks about 10x per hour, so I would personally use an Aquaclear 300, Emperor 280, or Penguin 330, or else a canister. The Aquaclear has a sponge insert that only needs regular cleaning as opposed to changing, and it is also very customizable. The Emperor and Penguin both use the Biowheel so much of your bacteria colony is retained even when the cartridges are changed. I've also heard some not-too-good things about the Whisper filters, though never used one myself. Like I said, this is only my opinion and if everything is going great for you and you are satisfied with your filter, then it's not necessary to change what you're doing.

yea, your setup sounds great but your PWC is wwaayy too spread out you need to do 15%-30% each and EVERY week! great choice of fish, all non agressive exept it is spelled Oto Cat(there is only 1 t in there, yet i dont know why)

but i never have changed my filter yet, all i have done is get a deep bowl with tank water in it put my bio-bag in it, take a tooth brush and scrape some of the bad crud that is on it

but otherwise your tank is great! hopefully you got some fry from those livebearers

Well, your water changes are low by fish nut standards, but your stocking is not that heavy either. Run a nitrate test. if you are under 20, you are doing a good job. Nitrate 20 - 40, just an adequate job. Over 40, you need more water changes. Use a FW liquid test kit, about $5 online, a master kit about $15 online.

It seems that everything you've got is healthy and happy and you have the right equipment and good water quality.
Keep up the good work! :mrgreen:

I am glad you are havign success Sagar. I am somewhat of a newbie but from what I have heard and read, more water changes would help, and unless you enjoy spending money on filters, I have heard to NOT change your filter that often as there is a great amount of biofiltration on it. Many go so far as to say that you shouldnt even use too hot or too cold water when rinsing your catridge as it kills of the beneficial bacteria. Simply fill up a bucket with room temperature water (an aquarium only bucket of course) and swish it back and forth to get rid of all the solids and crud that is in there. You will clean the filter, increase circulation thorugh it, yet no lose any beneficial bacteria. Godd Luck! :p

NEVER rinse filter cartridges in tap water- the nitrifying bacteria will die. If you need to rinse your filter cartridge, get a bucket of tankwater from a water change and swish the cartridge around in there. There's no need to wring it out or anything. I only rinse mine out about once a month, but I think I use different filters than you do so I'm not sure how often you need to rinse yours.

Back
Top Bottom