Is it ever too late?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
There's an elderly man that loves to come over and watch my tanks. Today is his 86th birthday. I'm giving him a 2 gallon eclipse and a betta as a bday gift.. I think he'll enjoy having something to care for, as well as the company.

What advice can I give him to help him get the most enjoyment from his new buddy? :D

Good for you, BrianNY!!!! No special advice that I can think of other than to show him how to feed his new friend. You'll probably want to help him out with water changes and stuff like that until he gets the hang of it.

The best advice I ever got for bettas was to feed them a peeled, cooked pea once a week to keep their gut flowing, um, freely! I had one perish from a blockage and learned this one too late.

Great idea, Brian! Kudos to you!

Thanks for input and the encouragement. I'll take a pic tonight.

What a sweet intended gesture..!

He lives at home and therefore has reasonable indoor temps?Riight?

Hopefully it is not a nursing home which are rather chilly and the poor tropical betta must survive UNtropical living for the length of his life or that you have a mini 25 watt heater to back up cold days.
Of course you QT'd Mr. Betta to insure health before gifting him...right? Ya know how Qt is the end-all around this board. ounce of prevention really IS worth a pound of cure with fish.

being...Christmasfish.....started with 7 fishmas gifts...none of the originals are alive. All died horribly. And only one survives from the refund used at a diffferent location....
It would end up being a poor gift if he has to try to cure it of something and then see it dead one morning.
I am not trying to be discouraging, but as self appointed purveyor of betta justice, I have ta mention it. I am sure it is prolly too late for anything but a heater anyway...... but my fishmas was sure a sad occasion. My betta and his tank came on the same day and no heaters to fit it in town. My cold house brought out every disgusting crust they can get. The bettas we got had ich, columnaris, anchorworms and flukes mixed and matched on the lot. One had it all at once. And I was lost because I never had sick betta before. My fish died uncured after a month of treatments. And nothing showed up until day three to seven.
They all looked fine at first.
I'm young, I'll get over it. I still feel bad here in Feb. An older person may feel very bad if they think they killed off their new pet that was also a gift.

Other than that? Feed the betta small amounts of variety instead of just flake and he won't bind up. A betta splendens stomach is as large as his eye. Both literally and metaphorically. :lol: Make sure artificial plants are "betta-safe" run them on nylon....if it snags nylon, it'll snag the soft lovely fins. A good temp and food, and he'll be skimming bubble nests off his friends surface daily.. 8) Good water and heat... he'll live longer and show full coloration too.

Awesome Brian! Bring him to one of the GCAS mtgs; I'd love to meet him :)

Well here's Fred and his birthday gift. He was quite happy. Don't worry about the betta Christmasfish. Tara or I will be checking in on him on a fairly regular basis.

Fred had all kinds of questions on how to keep his new pal happy. I'm sure they both will be.

BrianNY.....you truly have my respect and admiration for taking time for that fellow.

Many years ago I met an older gentleman (he was born in 1899 and was 87 at the time) who had basically been dumped into an old folk's home by his children and grandchildren and left there to die as conveniently as possible. Unfortunately for them....he wasn't in any hurry to give in to their wishes. He and I got along very well and it became a common occurrence for the two of us to get together and go fishing at a small urban lake across from the 'home'.

Man!! The stories he could tell! He told me all about seeing his first airplane and his first car. Stories about fighting in the Argonne Wood during WWI and working in an aircraft manufacturing plant making fighter aircraft during WWII. We would drive around Dallas and he would point out how things had changed and what used to be in certain areas before the city closed in on them and gobbled them up! I was devastated when he finally passed away at the age of 95....his mind was sharp as a tack up until the day his heart finally betrayed him.

Thank you for taking the time to cultivate the friendship with this gentleman!

Thanks for the kind words Fruitbat. This old guy has kind of been abandoned by his sons. He's very lonely and my wife and I just like him. He's such a character LOL.

Omg Brian; you befriended Santa Claus!

You gotta bring him to the next GCAS mtg; I've started my xmas list for next year ;)

:D He does turn heads Alli. I think he grew that beard just to be noticed and not forgotten. You can only imagine the response "Santa" usually draws from young kids *LOL*

I know he'd love the GCAS meeting but just won't travel that far, and he doesn't have the stamina to stay up the late :cry: .

Omg Brian; you befriended Santa Claus!

Precisely what I thought! How many of us get a chance to give Santa a present?!?!?!

It's really great when you can connect with a senior like that. Everybody needs friends. You and your wife are good people, Brian!

Back
Top Bottom