Is it necessary to use the filter extension on tall tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 30g tall hex tank with a HOB emperor 280 filter. I am using the filter extension so the intake is way down near the bottom of the tank, is this beneficial or would the filter work just as well with the standard 6" from the top instake?

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Is it necessary to use the filter extension on tall tank

dmac said:
I have a 30g tall hex tank with a HOB emperor 280 filter. I am using the filter extension so the intake is way down near the bottom of the tank, is this beneficial or would the filter work just as well with the standard 6" from the top instake?

Thanks,

Dave

usually the premium spot for a HOB filter intake is 1" from substrate. so cut the extension using a dremel or handsaw to get perfect fit.

you dont want 1/2 the water that just got filtered to pour into the tank and right into your intake tube :) .

remeber to use some sandpaper on the outside and inside of where you cut to remove and burs the n rinse the tube really well

I prefer to have the extension closer to the substrate as well. It gets the gunk on the bottom that the bottom feeders and cories stir up in their travels.

Actually, I've fond that with my Emperor 280, it really doesn't matter where you place the intake. If you have gravel, you can go down next to the gravel if you like, but if you use sand, I would recommend above 4 inches, as the sand will get sucked in and create havoc. As long as you are doing your notmal gravel vacs, it's not necessary to place it low in the tank. I have the 280 on my 26G and does a great job.

Back
Top Bottom