Is it okay to take stones from outside and put into your tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found a couple beautiful rocks outside. I washed them in scalding hot water, let them air dry and cool. My water never changed. Maybe a suggestion would be to only do a couple or 1 at a time. Add more if all seems ok in a week or so. This is coming some someone with less than a year experience but thought I'd share. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would never use any soap to clean anything going into a tank , I would use chlorine to sterilize bleach the rocks then rinse it well and let it air dry a few days
I have also cleaned tanks using salt

I would never use any soap to clean anything going into a tank , I would use chlorine to sterilize bleach the rocks then rinse it well and let it air dry a few days
I have also cleaned tanks using salt

Hi Micey, how do you use salt when cleaning the aquarium? Mine have a slime film on the inside of the glass. It drives me nuts, is that part of BB? If not how can I make it go away?

the tank needs to be empty and you use it like comet , you make a paste of it with water
a pot scrubber will remove the slime but that is the good bactria that converts ammonia and nitrites to nitrates , you can get allot of it on newer tanks till the filters are fully cycled

So in my case I should leave it alone? There's no algae, or discoloration, it's only a matter that I know it's not smooth and sparking clean. Thanks for all the help lately.

Back
Top Bottom