Is It Possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
So we would all love to live in an Tanked world of "if you can dream we can build it" but truth is that isnt the case. Therefore I come to you my trusted advisers to see if the dream I have dreamed is possble. Not sure I will get to live it out if it is but I still want to know lol

The dream I have dreamed is a fish tank that is aquarium on the bottom and ....whats that place frogs live?....on top. A terrarium I guess?
I would want to keep fish in the bottom and something to utilize the top like tree frogs or a climbing crab species etc.

Now in my dream this setup is not plagued by mold or foggy sides.

Now my advisers and fellow dreamers. Is this dream a fantasy or a possibility?

Thanks and God bless (PS yes I had a bit to much fun with the dramatic wording on this lol)

It is possible and has been done!!!! I will look for the link. Somebody posted a youtube link a few months back I will try to find it for you!

Look up paludariums. That is what you're trying to do. There are tons of really cool ones on YouTube.

Cool thanks yall! I wasnt sure how it would work. Would tree frogs be ok or would they drown?

I can find just the right one I am looking for it was I guess the best way to put it would be half paludarium and half refugium. It was like layers of tanks on top of each other like steps. One on the video was 3 different steps. Each step looked to have a different type of eco system in it, but all running together but separate.

Sounds cool!

I dont know what type of tree frogs I am not an amphibian expert. I would like dart frogs but Im not sure that would work....

Sounds cool!

I dont know what type of tree frogs I am not an amphibian expert. I would like dart frogs but Im not sure that would work....

I would start with something a lot easier than darts. They are tough and can't swim lol. They are also a pain to feed. If you want darts is set them up their own tank. For tree frogs how about a whites tree frog. Pretty good beginner species to get your feet wet in amphibians. They'd look good in a paludarium and get pretty big.

I would start with something a lot easier than darts. They are tough and can't swim lol. They are also a pain to feed. If you want darts is set them up their own tank. For tree frogs how about a whites tree frog. Pretty good beginner species to get your feet wet in amphibians. They'd look good in a paludarium and get pretty big.

Please dont take this wrong but I think hose are ugly frogs lol I dont like the big dumpy fat frogs lol woukd a red eyed tree frog work?

Please dont take this wrong but I think hose are ugly frogs lol I dont like the big dumpy fat frogs lol woukd a red eyed tree frog work?

Haha no you're good. I understand lol. A red eye would work just don't expect to see it to often as they're nocturnal.

Haha no you're good. I understand lol. A red eye would work just don't expect to see it to often as they're nocturnal.

I can handle that its in my room and I will mainly be in it at night. Do they sing? And are they able to hold their own if they fall in the water?

Yep males call. And they should be fine.

Sweet! Alright 2 more questions. How do I keep the glass clear and how do I keep mold down? I CANNOT have mold as a family member is allergic.

Sweet! Alright 2 more questions. How do I keep the glass clear and how do I keep mold down? I CANNOT have mold as a family member is allergic.

I use an aquarium magnet cleaner to keep the glass clear in my dart frog tank. That's the only way I've found. To combat mold buy springtails and isopods. They will eat it and live in your substrate.

hey I'm horribly allergic too! Lol back on topic, when I had my newt tank set up I just did lots of water changes and scrubbed the tank every time. Got rid of the tank though.

Thanks both! I cannot devote alot of time to maintenance due to my work schedule. How do you keep bugs from escaping?

Thanks both! I cannot devote alot of time to maintenance due to my work schedule. How do you keep bugs from escaping?

The ones I mentioned live in the substrate and won't go anywhere else.

The ones I mentioned live in the substrate and won't go anywhere else.

OK so isopods are safe? Springtales are not gonna fly. I didnt know what they were but I looked them up and I have had them in the house before and will never invite them in lol and other methids to keep mold at zero?

OK so isopods are safe? Springtales are not gonna fly. I didnt know what they were but I looked them up and I have had them in the house before and will never invite them in lol and other methids to keep mold at zero?

Haha yes isopods are safe and springtails will no fly. I ordered my cultures of them from joshsfrogs.com. Idk any other ways to control mold.

Haha yes isopods are safe and springtails will no fly. I ordered my cultures of them from joshsfrogs.com. Idk any other ways to control mold.

Ok will they eat all of it? Just the isopods?

Back
Top Bottom