Is my Albino Tiger Barb pregnant or bloated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i3k

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is the story. I have 5 albino tiger barbs in one of my tanks. Have had them for about 3 months now. 2 of them are large and 3 are still small. Well about 4 weeks ago I had ich in the tank that attacked one of the large barbs. The rest of the barbs and other fish seemed to be fine. So I took the barb that got attacked by ich and put him in a QT. Raised the temp in the main tank to 86 degrees and all the fish remained fine. The barb in the QT recovered in a few days as I treated it with heat and salt for about 3+ weeks.

Two days ago I decided to go ahead and put him back in the main tank since all fish seemed fine and there were no more signs of ICH. The temp. in the main tank and QT were at 86 degrees...I checked for ammonia/nitrates/ph in both tanks. no ammonia, no nitrates...and the pH in the main tank was a tiny bit higher than the pH in the QT...so the water conditions were pretty much the same...with that in mind I went ahead and put the barb from QT into the main tank. Right away he started schooling with the rest of the barbs and seemed really active and colorful. I decided not to feed the fish that day and just turned off the lights for the rest of the day.

Yesterday morning I went to check on the barbs and to my surprise one of the large ones was bloated(just the belly). Not an odd shaped belly or anything, but a nice slightly round belly...doesn't look like dropsy...looks more like he/she was over fed...but i did not feed the fish. I do think it's the barb I transferred from the QT...but really...I can't tell because the two large barbs are pretty much identical. Anyways, he/she got bloated overnight. He swims around with the rest of the barbs, is very colorful, no raised scales or anything...no symptoms of any kind that would tell me the fish is stressing. I left it alone without feeding the fish again.

I checked on the fish today and it's still the same...the belly is the same size. the barb is still active and even ate a tiny bit of flakes that I fed them today just to see if he/she will eat...and it ate alright.

Can it possibly be a pregnant female? Can a fish get pregnant overnight and show a belly that fast?

I do not have any tiger barbs but I do have a black skirt that has that exact same thing going on. Just over night it looked like he/she ate a marble. I looked up to see the signs that would point to anything and nothing really stuck out. He seemed to be normal so I just let it go and it's been over a year now and he still swims around with a big belly. Eats normal and is happy as heck. Hope this helps but I really don't think you have a problem.

well looks like the swelling went down a bit...he is even more active today, begging me for food...so I fed :)

Years ago when I was a kid I had a 10 gallon . Mainly had tiger barbs in it. Well always bought from petsmart never knew any better. One day i noticed the same symptoms you are describing. day later the fish was dead. So I put him in a plastic bag and was gonna take him back the petsmart (14 day thin they do) and on the way to the store I kid you not that fat belly went away and a big red worm came out. Some kind of parasite I imagine but same exact symptoms you describe.

a tape worm? nasty!...i'll keep an eye out...the barb is doing good right now...I'll feed it some peas tomorrow and see if that helps any.

Back
Top Bottom