Is my fish ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plutoniumcaterpillar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf gourami in a 10gal community tank and I'm just wondering if you guys think he looks ok? I feel like this photo is a pretty accurate representation of how he looks in real life. I'm just a little worried about his head area. It looks kind of grayish, and I forget if it was like this when I first bought him.

He also twitches and spazzes out every now and then, ever since I bought him. He did it a lot more at first, and as he settled down it lessened. I don't know if this could be a sign of something wrong or not.

Also, my tank water has been looking cloudier lately and I recently changed my filter and it hasn't improved. Wasn't sure if this could be a factor. I had my water tested and the lady told me I have elevated levels of nitrates and ammonia, which she said could be produced from increased levels of bacteria in my tank. I've had my tank for about a month, and I recently did a 15% water change, which she then told me I shouldn't have done because it's so new. She said this water change could have caused a bacterial population boom, and thus producing ammonia.

So anyway, what do you guys think?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Testicles.jpg
    Testicles.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 148
I have a dwarf gourami in a 10gal community tank and I'm just wondering if you guys think he looks ok? I feel like this photo is a pretty accurate representation of how he looks in real life. I'm just a little worried about his head area. It looks kind of grayish, and I forget if it was like this when I first bought him.

He also twitches and spazzes out every now and then, ever since I bought him. He did it a lot more at first, and as he settled down it lessened. I don't know if this could be a sign of something wrong or not.

Also, my tank water has been looking cloudier lately and I recently changed my filter and it hasn't improved. Wasn't sure if this could be a factor. I had my water tested and the lady told me I have elevated levels of nitrates and ammonia, which she said could be produced from increased levels of bacteria in my tank. I've had my tank for about a month, and I recently did a 15% water change, which she then told me I shouldn't have done because it's so new. She said this water change could have caused a bacterial population boom, and thus producing ammonia.

So anyway, what do you guys think?
Thanks in advance![/ here is some good info I found to help you I'm not the best person to ask for this but here you go...

image-3475876916.jpg

His head looks fine. You will want your own liquid test kit so you can see the exact numbers. Don't take advice from fish store employees. That's probably why he's been like that. Cycling with fish in usually requires daily 50% water changes at least.

You really do need your own liquid test kit, API master test kit is a good one. Here is a good article about fish in cycling that I believe will help you... I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice.

Also what is your tanks ph? When doing in fish cycling you need to do a WC every time the ammonia or nitrites rise above .25. Also you need to keep nitrates at 20ppm or lower.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

When I had my water checked a few days ago it was at a pH of 8. My nitrates were at 0.25 and my ammonia was at 0.5. Also, my KH was 10 (which btw, what is KH?).

KH is carbonate hardness. You don't really need to be concerned with that, but 10 is actually a pretty moderate level. What you do need to be concerned about at the moment are your ammonia and nitrIte levels. Anytime you test if either of these levels are above .25 you should do a 50% water change. 0.5 ammonia is definitely a risk to your fish.

Thanks for the info! I'm still basically a noob at this water changing stuff, so it surprises me that a 50% water change won't be too hard on the fish. It's not too hard on them to do this?

I do 50% WC's on all my tanks weekly including the 220g. The fish and plants seen invigorated after I do it.

You generally don't want to change your filter media unless it's literally falling apart and even then only change out portions at a time. When you do so, you're removing beneficial bacteria that the tank needs to stay cycled. The removal of media probably explains the elevated ammonia levels. Doing water changes will not harm anything and are needed to keep the fish safe when ammonia and/or nitrites are present, just be sure to use dechlorinator. This link might help too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice With ammonia at .5 I'd do a 50% water change today and another one tomorrow. What other fish are in the tank?

These are the fish and other things currently in the tank:

1 dwarf gourami
3 guppies
1 Endler's livebearer
1 kuhli loach
1 otocinclus catfish
1 upside down catfish
1 bumblebee goby
1 african dwarf frog
1 mystery snail
Numerous ghost shrimp and malaysian trumpet snails

Well unfortunately you're pretty overstocked for a 10 gal. I wouldn't add any more fish. I'd do 50% water changes every day or two until you can get your own liquid test kit (API Master --- most pet/fish stores should sell it. You can also find it cheaper online at Amazon.com or BigAlsOnline.com).

Long-term you'll either need to rehome some of the fish, namely the goby, catfish and loaches as they need larger groups than a 10 gal can hold and/or they grow too large for a 10 gal, or upgrade to a larger tank; a 30 gal would hold the fish nicely and let you add to the fish that need groups. I'd keep the frog in the 10 gal and get it a couple of friends as they are social and do better with other frogs.

Ok, thanks for all the info! I just did my first 50% water change today and will keep doing so. I'll also order a water test kit tomorrow. I really appreciate all the help!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom