Is my tank all wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nami no Sakana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! This is long (forgive me) and I am new to the site and fish care >>
Please put me at ease and help me figure out what I should be doing better?

I have a 10 gallon tank, with tricoloured pebbly gravel, 2 aquatic plant bulbs that are alive (rooted and visibly growing). The filter I am using is weak and temporary because the first one I bought was way too strong and I monitor the temperature of the tank with warm water bottles and small surface water changes until I can get a new heater since the original was too weak.
My tank has been stocked and running for a little over a month. I have 1 male crowntail betta, 3 GloFish, 1 pleco, and 1 ramshorn snail (as of now). My betta seems to eat the snail eggs, but the snail is a new addition so I'll have to wait and see.
I was not informed when I first started my tank that it needed to be cycled, and I had a few white cloudy water and strong smelling problems the first week or two, but now the water is relatively clear and the odour problem is gone.
My betta fish used to bully one of my GloFish, the brightest neon yellow one which happens to be the smallest. He will occasionally flare up at the GloFish and puff out his gills and chase them around. Is that too much of a problem? Should I isolate him? The GloFish is not afraid of the betta any more, as he doesn't attack, just flares and they basically ignore him and the betta eventually swims away. They only interact if the betta is in a grumpy mood (usually due to low temperature or water change) not too often, I don't think. Other than that, the GloFish zip around and the betta minds his own. But I am worried that my betta might be stressing himself out too much.
The betta likes to keep company with the pleco and will hover around the pleco in a curious manner. I'm not so worried about them.
The snail, I'm totally freaked out about. I wasn't told when the lady plopped him in the bag that he would reproduce like crazy. I found that out online when I went to see what the heck the woman added in. Will it really be so much of a nuisance to have the snails?
I put a pinch of flakes in for the GloFish and betta, and I also feed the betta small pieces of freeze dried shrimp. I use algae wafers that stick to the side of the tank for my pleco and I understand that the snail(s) will eat that as well. My pleco doesn't seem to actually eat or notice the algae wafers to be honest. That worries me a bit.
I was never able to have a pet before now. When I was younger my mom would either let the pets free or neglect them and stop me from interfering with them, I guess when she realised that she is an awful animal caretaker she stopped the whole family from having ever having pets. Fish were the only option for me at this point, especially since they can come with me to college. I find myself obsessing over them and constantly wanting to watch them so I know part of my concerns are due to my anxiety, but I am so afraid that I might kill my fish. I'm worried that their conditions are wrong and the tank too small. I'm worried about my lack of store bought decorations (non-toxic but not very fancy). I'm worried that the species of fish I have shouldn't coexist in one tank. I am just afraid that my care is inadequate and that the darn snail will take over my tank.

:welcome: to AA!
I think you need a bigger tank but wow that was a lot of reading and questions lol :). Whenever my betta flares like that eventually the other fish dies if I don't rehome it first.

Hi! The first thing you should do is individually research each animal you have in your tank. Bettas are typically not good community fish and are generally kept as solo occupants of a tank due to their aggressiveness. If it's a common pleco you have be warned that they get HUGE! No matter what the species though 10g is too small for any sort of pleco so you may want to look to rehoming or returning it at some point. Thankfully it should stay smallish for a while. Ramshorn snails are notorious reproducers so the best thing you can do is not overfeed your tank. Do you have a water test kit? Everyone here will strongly recommend API's Master Test kit, which can be found very affordably on Amazon or eBay.

In the meantime, this article should cover a lot of basic questions too: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Welcome to AA!

what you could do if your limited to the 10g is take the plec and glow fish back and get a small school of 4 panda cory or 6 pygmy cory since the betta seems fine with the plec he should be ok with them as they are bottom feeders, but thats just an assumtion you.never know with bettas. Mine have always been fine with corys. You should realy try and get a suitable heater as soon as you can. Dont worry too much it all takes time i was the same when i started and also suffer from anxiety which maked it hard when your a begginer not to stress about it all, i used to freak that if i stopped watching them or when.i woke up they would of all died on.me stupid anxiety :/ But just remember its meant to be enjoyable and we will all help you :) and once you gain your confidence a little that panic will pass. Slow and steady and as for the decore just add to it when you can and how you like its all personal choice no rush. Ill just let you know if you go for fake plants get the silk ones as the hard plastic ones may rip your bettas fins. With the filter that was too strong im assuming it was blowing your fish around? ypu can put a peice of sponge over the out flow to soften it i had to do this once for my betta he couldnt manage the current.

Thank you for your help! I am currently looking into a bigger tank and possibly a divider or solo tank for my betta. I don't think my betta is set on killing the others, but his flaring up isn't for nothing. Better safe than sorry and you all know more than I do about these things!
And I do have aquarium testing kits. Two actually. I was too freaked to go without one, the water parameters are good and steady.
Sorry it was so long >< but thanks for the welcome, the reading, and responding. :)

Nami no Sakana said:
Thank you for your help! I am currently looking into a bigger tank and possibly a divider or solo tank for my betta. I don't think my betta is set on killing the others, but his flaring up isn't for nothing. Better safe than sorry and you all know more than I do about these things!
And I do have aquarium testing kits. Two actually. I was too freaked to go without one, the water parameters are good and steady.
Sorry it was so long >< but thanks for the welcome, the reading, and responding. :)

If you get a bigger tank you could just leave the betta in the 10g by him self.

Bettas like to be lone wolfs. Especially males. Sometimes females will do ok in a community tank, but not males.

Back
Top Bottom