Is there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BboyTony

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there any fish that can live in a 10 gallon and is really cool and not shy...I wanted a Clownfish but I'm only freshwater

A betta. Their personalities really come out in a 10.
Or a dwarf gourami.
Or you could do 2 dwarf puffers. (1 male 1 female) For dwarf puffers the tank would NEED to be heavily planted with either fake or live plants. They are really NOT shy at all and will constantly be checking what your doing. Fun fish to have!

mfdrookie516 said:
like, a bigger fish? something like a dwarf gourami? or maybe some sparkling gouramis?

I was thinking more of unique fishes...something like a African butterfly fish...

Dylan5359 said:
A betta. Their personalities really come out in a 10.
Or a dwarf gourami.
Or you could do 2 dwarf puffers. (1 male 1 female) For dwarf puffers the tank would NEED to be heavily planted with either fake or live plants.

What can I keep with the Betta

Hi Tony;
I guess the answer to your question really depends on what you consider cool. Also, a lot depends on what else will be in that 10 gallon tank. Bettas are very exotic/pretty, but not very active. With just 10 gallons you really limit what you can do for "cool fish." At that size you could keep just 1 angelfish without room for much else. I'm currently researching the bluefin notho killifish which is my idea of a freshwater equivalent of the saltwater clownfish. You might start looking into that fish.

OhNeil1969 said:
Hi Tony;
I guess the answer to your question really depends on what you consider cool. Also, a lot depends on what else will be in that 10 gallon tank. Bettas are very exotic/pretty, but not very active. With just 10 gallons you really limit what you can do for "cool fish." At that size you could keep just 1 angelfish without room for much else. I'm currently researching the bluefin notho killifish which is my idea of a freshwater equivalent of the saltwater clownfish. You might start looking into that fish.

I disagree. Bettas are actually very active with the proper setup.
And like I said he could keep 2 dwarf puffers which are awesome fish.
Gouramis, (dwarf variety)
The list really isn't that small for a ten gallon.

Hi Tony;
Angel? what? not at all...

I would definatley agree a betta would be great. They are very active in larger tanks, and very beautiful IMO. The only problem with a dwarf gourami is that they are pretty shy. Mine will run and hide whenever I don't tip-toe up to the aquarium.

Well like rook said, sparkling Gouramis are interesting little fish. You could keep a couple in a ten gallon, with them just reaching 1 1/2 inches,

OhNeil1969 said:
Hi Tony;

I have a betta in a ten... He's so active I keep swearing he needs a 20! Lol. Don't underestimate them in those tiny cups. They use every ounce of space they get.

To Dylan;
Sorry, that's just my opinion of bettas. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with them. But that is because, imo, they are not that active. Of course, your experience may be different. Also, while I love dwarf gouramis (I have 2 myself), they don't fit my idea of a "really" cool fish. From the posters question, I got the impression that they're looking for something exceptionally exotic.

To Rook;
I really think that a single angel could be kept in a 10 gallon tank. I currently have 4 in a 60 gallon community tank and their behavior leads me to think that 1 angel could exist peacefully in a 10 gallon. Of course, I'm referring to the scalare variety and not the altum type that would quickly outgrow a 10 gallon tank. After saying that, I would still be careful of what I would add to the tank with the angel though.

I would never put an angel in a 10g... full grown, they will be almost as tall as the tank, and dang near as long. definitely wayyy too small. even a 29g is small IMO

EDIT: I will say that I did have a betta once... he just sat there unless my rubber lipped pleco chased him. Not saying all bettas are that way, but mine was

I would never put an angel in a 10g... full grown, they will be almost as tall as the tank, and dang near as long. definitely wayyy too small. even a 29g is small IMO

EDIT: I will say that I did have a betta once... he just sat there unless my rubber lipped pleco chased him. Not saying all bettas are that way, but mine was

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm really curious about what type of angelfish you had. Maybe you have some info that I've missed. The research I've done prior to and after getting my angels leads me to believe that scalare version of angels will get to be maybe 6" in size top to bottom (including fins). The wild altum version is a completely different story. Those guys will get HUGE. That's why I would never recommend that species for a 10 gallon tank.

BTW, since this thread is originally about finding a "cool" fish for the poster, I was wondering if you had any thoughts/info about the bluefin notho killifish? I think it looks like the type of fish that would fit the OP's needs. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of info about the fish as I've just begun my research. Heck, I don't even know where I could buy them:confused:.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm really curious about what type of angelfish you had. Maybe you have some info that I've missed. The research I've done prior to and after getting my angels leads me to believe that scalare version of angels will get to be maybe 6" in size top to bottom (including fins). The wild altum version is a completely different story. Those guys will get HUGE. That's why I would never recommend that species for a 10 gallon tank.

BTW, since this thread is originally about finding a "cool" fish for the poster, I was wondering if you had any thoughts/info about the bluefin notho killifish? I think it looks like the type of fish that would fit the OP's needs. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of info about the fish as I've just begun my research. Heck, I don't even know where I could buy them:confused:.

yep, weve gone off topic... i have no input on killis, never kept them and really haven't done any reading on them.

I will say that a fish that gets 6" from top to bottom, in a 10" tall tank (10g) with substrate (2" or so?) is not going to have enough room...

OhNeil1969 said:

I was thinking about getting one but don't they have short life span?

Btw I don't like angelfish...idk y...and I kept 3 bettas before and they seems pretty common to me...I want a fish that if my friends come over and be impress by it

Well then you can just order a betta. From like aqua bid or something. They may be a bit more expspensive ,but they are MADE to show off to your friends and family. They come in CRAZY colors and amazing finniage. (like nice whites, yellows, blues, red, purple, etc) In a ten gallon just like any other bettas, their personalities will show.

Dylan5359 said:
Well then you can just order a betta. From like aqua bid or something. They may be a bit more expspensive ,but they are MADE to show off to your friends and family. They come in CRAZY colors and amazing finniage. (like nice whites, yellows, blues, red, purple, etc) In a ten gallon just like any other bettas, their personalities will show.

Cool ok thxs

Back
Top Bottom