Is this a Rabbit snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyne

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased what Im pretty sure was a Rabbit Snail last winter. A month or two later I noticed two small babies crawling around the tank as well. After doing a little more research, I found that 1-2 is the typical amount reproduced and that they reproduce slowly enough that its not usually a problem. I figured "cool... bonus snails" and wasnt too worried.
The original adult died a couple months after I noticed the babies... bummer. But I still had the two others that I would notice from time to time. Getting larger, but slowly.

A couple hours ago Im looking in my tank and I am now counting seven of them... SEVEN!? I have no idea how I missed this! Either Im not paying as much attention as I think I am, or there were just never more than two of them out in the open whenever I happen to be looking. Im wondering if there are even more that Im just not seeing now.
With their number more than triple what I thought I had, Im starting to wonder if they are actually Rabbit Snails after all. When I do an image search, the images that come up are identical to what I have in my tank, but I thought Id try to get some other thoughts. Could these be something that just look like Rabbit Snails? Could I have been misinformed (or just misunderstood) about the rate in which they reproduce?

I dont know what Im going to do with all these. The original adult was a little over 2 inches long when it died. :facepalm:

Attachments

• snail.jpg
    snail.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 108
Yeah.. I found some older posts from one of the AA Moderators that breeds rabbit snails (or at least used to). I don't know how long it takes for them to become sexually mature, but it's starting to sound like seven might not be out of the question for the length of time I've had them.
I'm still a bit surprised it took me this long to notice them. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could there be a market for them? They looked pretty interesting on just reading but I've never seen them here.

The one I purchased from my LFS was only a few dollars. I've never sold/shipped anything before, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the hassle.

The babies you are seeing may actually be Malaysian trumpet snails, which live in the substrate and multiply like crazy. Their shells are the same shape as rabbit snails.

MTS was what I was most concerned about. Ive never had them (I just get the pond snails) before, so I wasnt sure how close to the Rabbit Snail they were in appearance. I dont know how quickly MTS grow, but I havent added anything new to this tank in 4-5 months.
The soft, squishy innards are yellow on all the new snails... same as the original. Looking at images of MTS, they seem to come in all sorts of colors both inside and out. The head/face part look different though.

Oh if you can see that the head looks like a rabbit snail then you are probably correct in their identification! I was assuming they were too small to see. Congrats! Rabbit snails seem very rare, difficult to breed, and go for a high price (as far as snails go) from what I've researched :)

Back
Top Bottom