is this Chinese or siamese??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeofrude

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was sold these today under the impression they were siamese algae eaters but looking online i found out about Chinese algae eaters which sound horrid so I've taken a look but i can't tell the difference??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111117_194149.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111117_194149.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20111117_194210.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111117_194210.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 100
  • ForumRunner_20111117_194247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111117_194247.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20111117_194320.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111117_194320.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 100
Im pretty sure It is the same thing. The same fish will be labled as either one at pet stores. And yeah they suck IME

Well I've read that a siamese a e will get to about 4-5inches, be pretty docile and only eat algae where as a Chinese a e will get to 6-7inches and get very aggressive??

I know there are a few different species of them that look VERY similar such as flying foxes but i wouldnt trust that it was labled correctly especially if it was bought from petco/petsmart

Definitely not a true siamese algae eater. True SAE does not have along the lateral line like that. Also SAE don't have a sucker mouth.

I have a CAE in one of my tanks that is a few years old, he's about 4 or 5" long and has always been totally peaceful. But still, they are notorious for being bullies. Although it might just be certain species that fall under the blanket name of CAE.

Yeah that's why I've posted pics to see if anyone on here can tell lol it was from my lfs who are usually quite good

jetajockey said:
Definitely not a true siamese algae eater. True SAE does not have along the lateral line like that. Also SAE don't have a sucker mouth.

I have a CAE in one of my tanks that is a few years old, he's about 4 or 5" long and has always been totally peaceful. But still, they are notorious for being bullies. Although it might just be certain species that fall under the blanket name of CAE.

Would you say its worth me taking the risk and keeping them then or would i just do better to return them ?

Would you say its worth me taking the risk and keeping them then or would i just do better to return them ?
As I mentioned, I have had good luck with the one I've had, but still. If you wanted siamese algae eaters then you should get the right thing, these guys are cool and everything but they aren't the same at all.

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion.

I agree 100% that you have a Chinese algae eater and not a true SAE. I had a CAE a long time ago that ended up not being as friendly as Jeta's, so back to the store he went.

Looks like I'll be making another trip tomoz then. I was only sold on them because they eat the black algae i have. My bristlenonose takes care of the green stuff.

Less light and more CO2, possibly more PWCs too. Scrubbing's not very effective against BBA.

Also, I concur with CAE and not SAE.

Looks like a Chinese Algae Eater to me and I have one exactly like yours as well as a gold one. I've had to gold one about 2 years and he's only still about 2 inches long. They other one I've only recently got. i wouldn't say they're aggressive but more like they pester or annoy the other fish. They tried to like sniff them, I know it's hard to explain lol.

Magikalgirl79 said:
Looks like a Chinese Algae Eater to me and I have one exactly like yours as well as a gold one. I've had to gold one about 2 years and he's only still about 2 inches long. They other one I've only recently got. i wouldn't say they're aggressive but more like they pester or annoy the other fish. They tried to like sniff them, I know it's hard to explain lol.

I've read that they suck the slime off of sleeping or slow fish which can cause them to get infections etc that's all I'm worried about??

aqua_chem said:
Less light and more CO2, possibly more PWCs too. Scrubbing's not very effective against BBA.

Also, I concur with CAE and not SAE.

i don't use co2?? I have java fern on some bogwood but i don't do anything with it but seems to do ok aside from bba

I have had the same fish (whatever it is, who knows) for over 4 years, actually one of the first fish I got. He is now about 4'' long and dosent bother anyone, unless them come to close. He will chase them away, he dosent bully any of the others. I have never seen him eat fish food, and is ALWAYS all over the plants , rocks, glass, and DW. He is actually tinted green, Im not sure if it is because he eats algae but he is much more green then any pics I have seen.

They don't eat off of other fish! That's crazy! I have a very large pleco and a catfish that don't move all day day long and it never even goes near them

Back
Top Bottom