Is this overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManInAHat73

Aquarium Advice Activist
It's time for me to start setting up my Haunted tank. It's a 10G with the HOB filter that came with the kit (will upgrade the filter after 55 and 5.5 gallon tanks are set up). I was planning on stocking it with:

2-3 Glass Catfish
4 Glass fish
4 X-Ray Tetra's
5-7 Ghost Shrimp

Will this be overstocked or will I have any problems with the fish compatibility?

It may be pushing it slightly, but with a good maintenance routine I think it's doable. Just add slowly and be dilligent.

Thank you HN1. I'll post pictures as soon as I have it set up and stocked.

Love the theme. That will be cool. I agree also that maintenance will be important. Arent the glass fishes kind of sensitive?

I've read that they can be sensitive so I'm going to make sure all my water parameters are just perfect, then add them slowly, starting with the school of glass fish, or maybe I'll add the shrimp first. Any suggestions on the order I should add the fish?

I'd start with the tetras, as their peaceful schooling should set the tone.

How are you going to aquascape the tank? It would look super cool with some dark gravel and just rocks/dw in the tank... no color!

The tank currently has black gravel, and I have two moonlights that I was thinking about using. I haven't really decided the aquascape is going to go yet. I was thinking about just doing dw and rocks, but lately I've become more attracted to planted tanks so maybe a haunted forest? The creepy castle is a good idea as well. Tomorrow I'm going to run to the lfs and take a look at what ornaments they have as well as see if they have a hood that would allow me to have two sets of lights, in case I choose to go the planted route. That way I'll be able to use both the moonlights at night and regular lights during the day. That'll help me decide what to do. I'd be happy to hear anymore suggestions about the aquascaping.

I would never get a dyed fish. It's terrible that companies will dye fish just to help profits.

I can't w8 to c pics of this. Sounds amazing. Where in the world are you going to get undyed glass fish? Lol. Everyone here likes colorful fish and all the pet stores pretty much only have dyed glass fish.

My lfs is wonderful about the quality of their fish. I hardly see any dead fish or shrimp in the tanks and I've even heard them deny the sale of three Oscars because the guy only had a 15G tank. I can't wait to get started on it. I just need to collect a few more pieces of equipment and then I can start. The tank is already starting to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom