is this safe to put in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard bad things about Grapewood and aquariums; it can grow a lot of mold and eventually rot. I don't have experience with it directly, just going by what I've read. You can do a Google Search and read some posts and see what other's experiences are. Mopani would be safer to use and yes it is different than Grapewood.

Ah, the good old grapewood debate. I personally had a bad experience with grapewood in aquariums. I had a piece I got from Petsmart's aquarium section that just kept rotting and growing white fuzz all over it. Eventually the wood would break apart and foul the water up.

meegosh said:
Ah, the good old grapewood debate. I personally had a bad experience with grapewood in aquariums. I had a piece I got from Petsmart's aquarium section that just kept rotting and growing white fuzz all over it. Eventually the wood would break apart and foul the water up.

..eventually it would break apart... Yuppers. I bought some "driftwood mounted on slate" and " perfect for aquarium" $60 bucks later and 2 months (I know) of letting it deplete all the tannins, water changes hoping it would stop FALLING APART when in actuality, it was bad rotting wood. But, how do you really know until your fish say "hey bud- lesson learned- take it out of our house please." If it does not stop crumbling after a week it will never be worthy... Right?

Back
Top Bottom