Is this tank overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naitch1980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
90 litre tank (ish)
Stock - 2 Clown loaches, 5 Penguin tetras, 6/7 neon tetras, 1 plec, 1 rainbow shark?

Yes, that is about 23 gallons. I dont know what kind of pleco you have, but the clowns, maybe pleco and the shark will all get to large for that tank. It is also awfully crowded at the bottom. The tetras are fine.

Hi there, 'fraid so but it's all a matter of good housekeeping in any case.
Your clowns need one extra friend to make a good happy group (3+ as with all botia species) and are therefore seriously going to outgrow your current tank.

The tetra schools sound good, and depending what plec you have (if it's a clown or another small species) you'd be ok, but a lot of plecs grow very large. The shark, again not a great idea.

ive been told clowns get 10+ and plecos get 15+ (depending what species)

the shark as stated above, will get pretty big as well

Yeah, i believe it's a 25 US gallon tank. That's a shame. I do agree on the good housekeeping front though.

If you've the option, I would take your two clowns back and exchange them for a trio of a smaller botia species. Polkadot (botia kubotai) are probably the most placid (and recently discovered too) of the lot and I'd always recommend these now as an ideal 'starter' loach (as far as loaches can be 'starter' fish).

In terms of the shark, I'd see if I could find another home for that if possible. It's really not going to be happy. The plecos you'd need to identify (can you post pics?) and then people will know how to advise you on that front :)

Really? Get rid of them all?
I think i'll keep them until they bigger anyway, I don't know anyone with a big enough tank/small enough community to take them
Same goes with the shark.
As for the Plec, it's a bristlenose.

The BN would be fine in there if it were on its own as the main/primary bottom feeder. It will grow to around 6" I think (someone can correct me if I'm wrong), so I would think it'd be ok.

The clowns though: really, you're looking at having a difficult time with them if you decide to keep them. They may look small now (and actually the smaller the more difficult to keep IME since they're a sensitive enough fish as it is without them being young as well), but they will grow quickly. The growth rates are very quick among macracanthus.

"Juveniles exhibit incredible growth rates. A doubling in size is discernible in a week, if sufficient food, adequate aeration and filtration are provided."
- http://www.dbs.nus.edu.sg/biodiversitii/bio/aquarium_more.html

It's true that once they hit the peak of their growth rate they slow down some and can live for a very long period of time (10+ years in the home, and 50 years or so in perfect conditions, i.e. their natural ecosystem). But, you're looking at a fish that can grow up to a foot in length in the indoor aquarium. That's a lot of fish:
i) for your filter to cope with
ii) to look after
iii) to physically accommodate

Clowns are also highly succeptible to ich: IME they can even get an outbreak from the stress of a necessary water change!

As botias are generally a highly sociable fish, particularly macracanthus, you are also increasing the chances of a more stresseful setup by having only two. You may find they will fight more often than normal, and one may end up being pestered to death.

These are all hypotheticals, but they are risks you needn't face. LFSs are usually quite happy to take back stock if you telephone ahead of a visit and speak to them about it.

That you felt a niggling feeling enough to ask whether the tank was appropriately stocked should be a sign that you know deep down it's not great for your pets, and it'll be easier in the short term to do this than to face handing them over 6 months down the line when you've grown attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom