Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matty1991

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 125l tank
6 mollies
6 bh tetras
6 cardinal tetras
6 corys
2 adf
1 bn plec

Can I increase the numbers of tetras and corys or is my tank full stocked

When speaking to some people they say I’m fully stocked and other people saying up the numbers of them 3 fish I mention as they will be better

If you have a filter rated for 2x your aquarium size you could increase the numbers of each type of tetra to 10. Corys come in all sizes and shapes and it really depends on what type of cory you keep. Frogs and fish shouldn't really be kept together, so ideally they should be separated.

If your filtration is just rated for the size of your tank i wouldnt add more fish.

The tank come with fluval u3 I have already upgraded to a 207 fluval

I wouldnt add more fish with a fluval 207. Id actually say a 207 was undersized for your aquarium and would use that filter for aquariums up to 100 litres.

When I bought the 207 it said good for up to 220 litre and my tank is 120 litre would you say upgrade to 307

Generally filters are good for half their rating. So a 207 is good for about 100/ 110 litres. It will hold about 1kg of biomedia, and 1kg is a good amount of media for a fully stocked 100 litre aquarium. No i wouldnt spend more money on a 3rd filter. I would just accept what id bought and moderately stock the tank which is where you are.

Ok great that’s fine

I was told that I didn’t have enough of the tetras and corys and that is why I was getting some fun nipping from the bh tetras

10 fish of a species of social fish is better than 6 fish of a species of social fish. So yes, 10 tetras and 10 corys are better than 6 tetras and 6 corys. But your aquarium set up isnt up to that. Unless you want to rehome something you already have, for example get rid of one species of tetra, and get rid of the frogs and pleco, i wouldnt add more fish.

If you want to spend more money on better filtration, then just get a bigger overall setup.

When speaking to some people they say I’m fully stocked and other people saying up the numbers of them 3 fish I mention as they will be better
What you need to realize and explain is that water volume is not as important as floor space is. For example, here in the US, we have a 20 gallon long tank and a 20 gallon high tank. The dimensions are 30"L x 12"W x 12" H for the 20 High and 30"L x 12"W x 12" H for the 20 long. They both hold the same amount of water yet they don't both hold the same amount of fish or even the same fish species. So while advice you get might be correct for your tank volume, it could be wrong for your tank's dimensions. :huh:
If your BH Tetras are Bleeding Heart Tetras, those get quite large and truthfully, they get too large for your aquarium. ( If the BH tetras are something else, please post full name, as well as what kinds of Mollies you have as some of the sailfin types get too large for your tank as well. ) (y)

The mollies will breed and your tank will become overpopulated unless you rehome the young. You could get rid of the mollies and that would give you room for more tetras and Corydoras.

Back
Top Bottom