Is ths ever a dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm setting up my 125 gal tomorrow. It's time to order plants on line. I'm going to be getting Java fern, a lot crypts. and micro swords for the forground. The thing is, I've no idea how how many plants to start this tank with . HELP!!!!!!!!!

Ok, lets talk about cycling the tank first. If you want to do a nice easy cycle then look at doing a silent cycle. You can see my FAQ at members.dsl-only.net/~rex that will tell you how to do a silent cycle.

First real question I have is now much light are you going to have over this tank?

You WON Gunnie?? I am SO jealous! I got most of my plants from there and have yet to win a thing *sniffle*

Heh I had the same problem Brian. I ordered everything I liked for my 10g. Oi. It did NOT all fit LOL I have to put the hygro and the java fern in the 55g. The Anubias is growing so fast its lifting the hood on the 10g LOL Good thing you have a BIG tank.

First, I can't thank everyone on this thread enough. Coming to this board is always an enjoyable, and I've learned a lot.

Rex. I'm going to start the substrate with 1/4 peat. 140 lbs of Eco-Complete which finally arrived Thu. from Drs Smith and Foster. I haven't decided if the top layer will be fine sand, or whether I'll just bite the bullet and get more Eco-Complete. I'm told that this substrate accelerates the cycling process.

I've purchased an eheim 2217 from bigals which will be the main filter. I'd like to plant the tank densely, and not put any fish in for about 2 weeks.

Lighting. I've got the standard sold with the tank set up, however I plan on buying the bright light kits from AH Supply. (2) 36 inch of 4X55. But this is why I want to start with low light plants primarily.

Allison. I'll take the annubias if you've got more than you can handle :D . Are you in the city? But you're right! It's hard to get a spacial perspective when buying plants online. I did this once (From Fishvet.com), and was surprised by how small the majority of the plants were. Well........that was before I found aquariumadvice.com, and you can imagine what happened to most of those plants.

Gunnie. I went to their link. I'll sure give them a try.

Brian

I would not use 1/4 peat in the substrate. All that is required is a THIN layer at the bottom. More than that and you will rue the day you put it in there. It will just cause you some big water chemistry problems and will cloud the tank every time you pull up plants.

Ok, now for the light. If all you have is the standard strips that a 125 comes with then even the plants you have ordered will die. If I'm not mistaken you have two 3' strips. That means that you have 60 watts of light if they are single bulbs. 0.5 watts per gallon is just not going to cut it. If I'm wrong let me know. But you really need 2 wpg before you put ANY plants into the tank. Also if your tank is the standard 6' 125 gallon tank you would be better off using 96 watt AH Supply kits for better coverage, but I will admit the 55 watt kits give you a better bulb selection. Even 4X55 watts is still going to create a pretty low light tank.

You're almost correct Rex. The set up came with 2 36 inch strips. Each strip has 2 30Watt bulbs in it for a total of 120 watts. The 4X55 watts will be in each strip giving me a total of 440 watts.

And as for the peat, I meant to say 1/4 inch. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok so right now you are at 1 wpg. If I were you I would not add any plants till you get the lights installed.

Once you get the lights installed you should do a silent cycle, just load the tank up with fast growing stem plants, wait a few days and then start adding your livestock. You should never see an ammonia or nitrite spike with this method and actually should have to add enough nitrates and phosphates to keep the plants growing and the algae at bay. It's normal to still see diatom algae though. As for how many plants to use on the silent cycle.... well I recommend at least 40-50 bunches for a tank the size of what you have. Also with the amount of light you are going to have you are going to need a pressurized CO2 system.

Ouch. My poor wallet!!! Perhaps I'll start with 2wpg.

Hey Brian:

I've got someone taking the first cuttings from the anubias, but between the CO2, laterite and the ferts (and the fish waste LOL) they are growing like weeds. I figure I'll need to prune again pretty soon. When I do, the next bunch is yours :)

And I'm up in Westchester btw, so I could either take a ride down (like I am this weekend to pick up a coupla fish) or mail em; your choice :)

Back
Top Bottom