DAMNIT... it didnt go very well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TerrellChris2k3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well, it seems that my larger JD didnt like the 2 new additions to the tank... i added about $20 in plants, and about $14 invested in more hiding spots... damn it does look good though (pics later) The bigger JD keeps attempting to eat them, they run, everything good for 5 minutes... then it all starts over.. so now im just gonna have to put them into their own tank... or give them back to the LFS- petsmart - anyone know if they will take fish back for credit?

So, since i cant have any more males in there, does anyone know where i can order a Female Jack Dempsey? I check alot of fish sellers and no one seems to have a female for me to order.

Thanks for the help in advance.

welp, after thinking about it, i do have some rocks that just only those 2 could get through, im wondering if could just somehow seperate the tank through rocks... kinda like a makeshift dam... but underwater.. but still have holes so that they could go through it... that would be SWEET!.... but i wouldnt have any idea on how to make this then just stacking up texas holey rock ... but were talking about the width of a 55.... i just dont know;

Gak! Putting smaller male Jack Dempseys in with a larger male is a recipe for trouble! In fact....that's true for MOST of the Central and South American cichlids. The idea of a dividing wall in your tank is interesting but in a 55 gal I have a feeling that a stack of rock that high would be pretty unstable.

The PetCos in my area (Dallas) won't take back fish for credit. Might want to consider putting your little males in a different tank....but they'll start fighting each other eventually too.

I've seen quite a few hefty Jack Dempseys up here lately for sale...I'll poke around and see if I can find any females. How big is your male?

If you get some rock and before it gets wet in the tank silicone seal it together in a wall arrangement. Be careful about measuring so that it will be sure and fit flush up against each wall of the tank (about 12" if it is a standard 55) but not too tight. You will be surprised at how sturdy you can make a rock arrangement using aquarium sealant. It needs to dry for a couple of days before it goes in.

Good luck!

Wow, I'm sure that would look cool, but a lot of work and time. Why not just buy a standard tank divider and try and grow out your smaller JDs?

hes about 5-6 inches.... i put the other 2 in the 29... guess im gonna have to decorate theirs... but ill be happy too damnit... im gonna make that tank a plant haven.

yeah, i would love to have another JD female in with the other... it just seems that all of these lfs's are numb when i ask them "Do yall have any female Jack Dempsey's in? or if not, when? and if you dont know that may I special order one?

then they go into detail about how they buy them from breeder and they have no clue on what sex's they get in...

well, what else you think could go in there, i would like to have atleast another colorful fish but i must stay in the safety zone... what would yall suggest going in there? same size convict?

Chris ;P Not to be rude or anything but I really think you should stick to one account or the other :p You confuse my switching back and forth.

ahah sorry, TerrellChris2k3 is when im at work.... ChrisTerrell2k3 is when im at home... i just noticed that... ill get that done to where im ChrisTerrell2k3 at all time... alrighty, just put it tons of moneyworth and java ferns in the 29 gallon... the 2 dempseys seem to be just swell.... as everyone else....

Now, onto a major decision... all i want to do for the next 3 months is only put in a Female JD in the big tank with big poppa... anyone know where i can order one?

Was at a local fish store here in Dallas today....saw a whole tank full of medium sized (4" +) Jack Dempseys, including a number of females. Long way to drive to get a Jack Dempsey though!

Back
Top Bottom