Itch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whitey73

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's the best way to get rid of it? I'm sorry ich...

I had success with heat, turned temp up to 86-88, so it can't reproduce. Regular gravel vacs to get the spores and a little salt. When the white spots vanished I kept the temp up for 5 more days and all was good.

stevedocs said:
I had success with heat, turned temp up to 86-88, so it can't reproduce. Regular gravel vacs to get the spores and a little salt. When the white spots vanished I kept the temp up for 5 more days and all was good.

That high temp won't hurt my fish?

I was told to do a temp of 84 if you are too nervous to do 86. I did mine at 86 and added half the amount of salt the box told me to. ( I put 1/4 tsp per gallon) Water changes also help get rid of it ich as well I heard. Mine is cycling and I had been doing water changes everyday but I left a week to go hunting and just kept my temp up I think my bfs cousin did one water change for us. I came back and the ich seems to be gone. But I had been battling it for like two weeks or so.

Lilmack07 said:
I was told to do a temp of 84 if you are too nervous to do 86. I did mine at 86 and added half the amount of salt the box told me to. ( I put 1/4 tsp per gallon) Water changes also help get rid of it ich as well I heard. Mine is cycling and I had been doing water changes everyday but I left a week to go hunting and just kept my temp up I think my bfs cousin did one water change for us. I came back and the ich seems to be gone. But I had been battling it for like two weeks or so.

So if I have a 55 gallon tank i need to but in 18 tsp seems like a lot?

Well the first time I added it, I did it according to my tank size and added it right to the tank. ( not sure if that is proper or not but I did it) the. Afterwards when you do water changes I just added the salt needed to gallons I was putting in. Like I have a 20 gallon and when I do my changes I usually take about 8-9 gallons out. I have old gallon jugs set up and I just add my salt and conditioner to them before hand. Then when I change my water I'm not overdoing the salt. If that makes any sense? As for the meds I stayed away from them. I've heard they can do more ha then good.

I thought it sounded like a lot too but I was told that if I did half the amount the box tells me too none of my fish should be bothered by it and all of them are doing fine Even my snails. :) hope this helps!

Lilmack07 said:
I thought it sounded like a lot too but I was told that if I did half the amount the box tells me too none of my fish should be bothered by it and all of them are doing fine Even my snails. :) hope this helps!

Thanks man will give it a try!!!!

Don't increase the temperature all in one shot. Do it slowly over a couple of days.
The same goes for lowering the temp when the time comes.

Don't increase the temperature all in one shot. Do it slowly over a couple of days.
The same goes for lowering the temp when the time comes.

Thank god someone finally came in and gave this advice. Hope it's not too late.

Back
Top Bottom