JBJ 180 halfmoon 8 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had problems with this tank? My mom has one that is positively filled with mold and the filter is covered in algae. Anyone else have problems?

^^^ Yes, sunlight OR just poor maintenance. Algae is one thing, but mold? That's just a red flag indicator that there needs to be some more frequent cleaning. JBJ tanks are pretty decent in general. I haven't heard of any issues... just user error instead. Just out of curiosity, what's it stocked with anyhow?

Ok it had mold in it before a week was up. Now I know it is overstocked. We plan on having 5 glofish, 1 otto, and 1 cory. I know they like groups but my mom only wants one since it is such a small tank. It is by a window which partially explains the algae (the light is also about 3 inches above the exposed filter media :confused:) but the mold I do not understand at all.

I have this tank and haven't had these issues. Stocking and maintenance issues, in addition to being too close to a window, are likely culprits for the problems IMO.

You know what... I never had any direct experience with this particular tank. I have a JBJ Nano Cube 12g and love it! So I assumed that it should be pretty similar. However, after doing some further research in the tank (i.e. how the filtration works and the lighting), I can see some design flaws. For example, the light partially sits right above the exposed filter. That direct light in such close proximity can cause algae to grow on the sponge and spread out. Further more, the filter sounds like it sucks up water and sprays it on the sponge via a spray bar and the water just overflows and falls back in the tank. This sounds like a current problem which can result in a lack of proper circulation, consequently resulting in stagnation. Maybe this is a reason for seeing some mold? I would suggest trying to add a very low GPH power head in there (< 125 gph) to help with circulation. An airstone can also increase circulation (perhaps a combination of the two). And of course, the frequent PWC's and the reduced exposure to sunlight. I feel confident that these modifications will help. However, I'm only speculating because I don't have any direct experience with a JBJ 180.

You know what... I never had any direct experience with this particular tank. I have a JBJ Nano Cube 12g and love it! So I assumed that it should be pretty similar. However, after doing some further research in the tank (i.e. how the filtration works and the lighting), I can see some design flaws. For example, the light partially sits right above the exposed filter. That direct light in such close proximity can cause algae to grow on the sponge and spread out. Further more, the filter sounds like it sucks up water and sprays it on the sponge via a spray bar and the water just overflows and falls back in the tank. This sounds like a current problem which can result in a lack of proper circulation, consequently resulting in stagnation. Maybe this is a reason for seeing some mold? I would suggest trying to add a very low GPH power head in their to help with circulation. An airstone can also increase circulation (perhaps a combination of the two). And of course, the frequent PWC's and the reduced exposure to sunlight. I feel confident that these modifications will help. However, I'm only speculating because I don't have any direct experience with a JBJ 180.

Wow you said the two thinks I said pretty much exact. I didnt think about the power hared though. We have a bubble rod but it is in the back and hits the top of the filter instead of the water.... Thanks will try some new things!

Good luck.. LMK how it works out. I made a couple edits due to typos in my post... Anyway, I would suggest a powerhead with a low flow rate. Such as the AquaClear Powerhead 10 - (110 V, 80gph) or the AquaClear Powerhead 20.

Back
Top Bottom