Julii or Pygmy Cory? Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Salt tolerance by catfish tends to be taboo subject. I'm sure they can tolerate some amount of salt since salinity can vary in small amounts even in full freshwater areas. The whole 'scaleless' fish thing I don't really buy, I mean there are saltwater catfish. I'm not a biologist though so I don't really know the entirety of the issue, but the one thing I have grasped is that scaleless fish are more sensitive to chemicals than their counterparts.

My question to mr waffles is why use salt at all unless you are treating them for something?

I used api aquarium salt, kitchen sea salt, kosher salt, and rock salt, all of which theyve been fine. ive had my juliis for about a year and they're active. more so at night. ive found the aquarium salt is worthless. its pretty much just kosher salt all fancy. as for them with no salt, not with the pygmys or juliis. but my pandas, which dont have salt, are just as active as my juliis. same behavior too.

IMO, juliis and pandas are probably the most attractive corys ever. pygmys are ok...
An important question is how much salt?

I have heard other people say similar things about corys and salt, but there too many bad storis out for me to ever want to risk it. Glad it worked for you though, but the salt concentration is important for us to know.:)

Saltwater catfish like Aspredinidae and Bagridae have no scales, but their skin is keratinized. ;) They have evolved and adapted to being in saltwater. Generally scaleless fish are sensitive to salt in the water.

"Moss balls" are actually a claudoflora algae that really only grow into balls if routinely rolled (or in high flow where they can tumble). A "ball of moss" is probably referring to the size of the portion and can be seperated and used where ever you want it. If it grows to much, you'll need to trim. The standard hobby mosses (java, xmas, etc.) grow like mad under most lighting conditions. If it died or you wanted to remove it completely, you'd just have to tear it off of what ever it was established well on.
How do you even trim something like that? it is like grass.

"Moss balls" are actually a claudoflora algae that really only grow into balls if routinely rolled (or in high flow where they can tumble). A "ball of moss" is probably referring to the size of the portion and can be seperated and used where ever you want it. If it grows to much, you'll need to trim. The standard hobby mosses (java, xmas, etc.) grow like mad under most lighting conditions. If it died or you wanted to remove it completely, you'd just have to tear it off of what ever it was established well on.

Interesting. I've heard nothing but horror stories with juliis (and similar cories) with any salt in the past. Funny how fish seem to always try to go against the "rules" we use for them.

If the pandas are fine without, why do you use it with the others?

Grab and rip. Or you can scissor if you are going for a specific look.
So just grab it and pull till it rips? Im a goof I thought it would juststay short lol

I dont use the aquarium salt regularly. only when a fih is sick. i was treating a tankwith ick and debated on whether or not i should add salt, and decided to risk it. the ick cleared up and the fish were fine. its not still in there, but that was in the past. as for how much, depends on the salt i used at the time. its between the 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. the pandas never expirienced salt cuz i never had a problem with that tank.

Back
Top Bottom