Just wanting an opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scooter2210

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on here and it seems that I'm doing everything wrong. BUT my goldfish (not sure what kind they are. I think maybe comets) have been living happily in a 2 foot tank. I have had them for about 4 years. I rarely do partial water changes and when I do it's tap water. Also i have never tested the water. Also going by what I have read, I have too many in the tank. They seem happy and healthy so I'm thinking that I shouldn't change anything. What is everyone's opinion on this?

rhonda0173 said:
Hi there everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading on here and it seems that I'm doing everything wrong. BUT my goldfish (not sure what kind they are. I think maybe comets) have been living happily in a 2 foot tank. I have had them for about 4 years. I rarely do partial water changes and when I do it's tap water. Also i have never tested the water. Also going by what I have read, I have too many in the tank. They seem happy and healthy so I'm thinking that I shouldn't change anything. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Well, lets hear Bout your setup first.

They might SEEM healthy, but your fish cant exactly tell you that it is dieing due to poor water quality before it is too far gone

Welcome to AA!!! Just my opinion here, i would say they are 'living' but whether thats a 'happy' existence is questionable. I would say you have been very lucky so far. It never hurts to learn something new or better ways to keep your fish healthy & happy. This is a great site to learn from!! :)

I have 7 fish in what I believe to be a 17 gallon tank. The filter is a hang on aqua one brand. 300L/hour. I also have an air stone running as well. The thing is, I have had them for over 4 years with no problems, none sick or anything. I'm just thinking that if the water was poor quality then I should of had some die by now.

rhonda0173 said:
I have 7 fish in what I believe to be a 17 gallon tank. The filter is a hang on aqua one brand. 300L/hour. I also have an air stone running as well. The thing is, I have had them for over 4 years with no problems, none sick or anything. I'm just thinking that if the water was poor quality then I should of had some die by now.

Are they 7 goldfish? You see, they havent grown in the fish becausethey are stunted. A stunted fish wont grow anymore externally, but the fish's organs dont stop growing. This causes a bent spine and an early death

Can I ask you to get your water tested with a liquid test kit (not strips)? Without water changes nitrates build up. Nitrates can cause lowered immune systems, burns to gills, blindness through clouding of the eyes and premature death to fishes. Without water changes TDS (total dissolved solids) can build up and cause your fish to become ill.
Fish suffer from something called stunting when kept in tanks too small for them. Stunting can cause their bodies to become deformed causing the fish pain and premature death.
So as you can see 7 goldfish, especially comets that can grow to well over a foot, in a 17g tank isn't an ideal home for them.

I have recently acquired 3 fancy goldfish from a 8g tank of a friend and I can tell you it's not a pretty site. One is blind in one eye and I am struggling to save the life of another with septicemia (blood infection). All three have suffered stunting and will now never grow to reach their full potential. These problems where all caused by cramped dirty conditions for over two years.

Can you possibily atleast take a sample of your water to your local lfs (live fish store) and have it tested? Most places do this for free. It will atleast give you a reference point for where your tank is now and we will have a better idea about your tank conditions & how to better help you. You really should consider in investing in an API master test kit so you can test your water yourself & have an idea what is going on in your tank. Lets start with this & we can go from there!

Thanks for the advice. I am interested in testing the water so I will do that as soon as I can. I have also put some tap water in an old 15 liter water bottle to age so I can do the water changes more often and correctly. As for the tank size, my future father in-law built fish tanks for a living for over 30 years so once I buy the glass he is going to make me a 6 foot tank. That should make them even happier.
They aren't showing any signs of stunting. The biggest of them is about 6" long tail included. The smallest is about 1" shorter than that. There is no bullying that I have seen and they even play will the bubbles from the air stone by swimming through the stream.

There are some great products out there that will instantly dechlorinate water without having to leave it sit. I recommend Prime. Great product. A little goes a long way!

Reactions: jlk
$$$$ are the main problem for me atm. I have enough space for the water to age so I would prefer to do it that way. Also the water would be the same temp as the tank water. I have the bottle next to the tank so that I can use one of the air pump lines to aerate the water as I have read that doing this releases the gases in the tap water. I'm tying to do things right now. I understand all the bio stuff and have used Nutrafin cycle when I have had to do a complete clean i.e. When I moved a few months ago. Anyway, will get the water tested soon :)

I had the water tested this morning. The PH was a little low. I think the ammonia was 0 and the nitrite was a bit higher. Nitrate wasn't tested. I don't know the exact numbers. So apart from the PH which I'm assuming will come up with a PWC and the nitrite which is elevated because of me, the balance in my tank is working perfectly.
Thanks for all your advice and opinions. I will now be doing things right but I have to say that apart from doing more frequent PWC's and aging the water, I won't be changing the way I do things as I believe to not fix things that aren't broke. I do hope to get a bigger tank soon though :)

When I get enough money I will buy a test kit. Maybe in a couple of weeks. I'm not too concerned though. I'm studying vet nursing and I believe that animal behavior would definitely apply to fish as well. Like I have said I've had no sick fish and they aren't showing signs of stress. The reason I asked for an opinion was because of all the stuff I had read. I was wondering why I wasn't having trouble when I wasn't doing the right thing but people that do the right thing were having some problems. Had me scratching my head.

Yay...I got a test kit. My readings are all ok although the PH could be a little higher. It's currently at 6.8. I have read that it's better to have a stable PH than to play around with getting it correct.
Is this right or should I get stuff to raise it?

Hi guys. Just thought I would give an update to what's happening with my fish.

I have recently got a 35gal tank and also a second hand canister filter which they have been in for 3 days now. Water params are fine as I used everything out of the old filter.

I agree that my fish are stunted but they don't have bent spines from growing organs. Sorry for being naive before. I know that this tank still isn't perfect for them but I am wondering that if my fish are well and truly full grown at 4-5 years old then I think that the inch per gallon rule would apply. Does anyone agree with this?

I think that the inch per gallon rule would apply. Does anyone agree with this?

The inch per gallon rule is never to be trusted, it is a very dated way of stocking a fish tank.

As to your latest reply;

People here have lives, we give up OUR time to help people with less experience through problems (and have our own problems solved too!)

Respect doesn't cost a thing an showing some will get you further in life than the way you acted...

...My 2 cents.

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom