Keeping the algea down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazdaman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm planning my 65gal right now. I will be moving my rainbowfish and shark from the 20 gal into the 65. Will be adding several more rainbowfish, turqoise, red, etc. My question is what would be the best method of keeping algea down. My guess is an algea eater of some kind. Any favs out there, looking for something "eyecatching" and prob something that will stay under say 10-12". The tank will most likely have a rena filstar xp3 for filtration unless I go eheim (too expensive). Thanks, any links and pics would also be great.

well all the small plecos are fine, a zebra (if you got the cash) would be nice since its a max of 4" and really colorful (black and white = colorful to me!) or maybe a bristlenose.. CAE's don't get that big do they ?

been looking through the memver galleries. I do really like the zebra pleco but heard they can cost like $150 or something. Sorry but not for a freshwater tank. I won't even be spending that on the filter.... Don't like the cae. Do catfish eat algae, don't think so. Also like the clown pleco and the "para pleco" What about loaches, just bottom feeders?

Yup, bristle nose plecos,and true siamese algae eaters....I actually just made a big difference in the algae problem I had with my tank by adding some live plants. if I understand things correctly they thrive off of the higher levels of phosphorus that were in my tank that was causing some of the algae.

Zebra plecos are primarily cariverous. Also, as menagerie said, definately a rubbermouth pleco. I also find that otocinclus cats and ameca splendins are awesome for algae control

A Rubber Lip Pleco, some Otos, and some true SAEs have been a successful combination for me in my 75gal.

The Rubber Lip looked kind of ugly when first I got him from the LFS, but I wanted a pleco that would not get too large. Anyways, now that he's in my tank and I can get a good look at him, he has a this shiney gold luminescence to him. He's very cool to look at, and he's very active. Also, he and one of my Dwarf Frogs act like best buddies.

Live plants will keep algae levels down? I have been trying to decide between live plants and going with a "fake setup" again. I'm just worried that I will truly mess things up and having to keep buying new plants. Maybe I will have to keep thinking that one through. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep 'em comin'. Thanks again

Pleco's are o.k. I guess, even though I think that otos do a better job, but I think that your shark might kill or hurt the oto, so I can't suggest it to you.

this will be for the 65 gal that is soon to come. The base is 36" by 18" so plenty of room on the bottom. Will be doing a "natural look" with rocks, cave and "tree stumps". So there will be plenty of hiding room.

Back
Top Bottom