Koi Fish and Betta Fish Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReenaLegend

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First things first, yes I bought Mr.Periwinkle from Walmart.

Ok. Are Koi fish aggressive fish that attack their own reflections? When I bought him he was with other fish. I'm taking video of it, but he's not doing it right now, but usually he'll see himself and just go berserk and slam his face into the wall.

He hides by the filter and just stares for a while then he'll start doing it again. I'm trying to get video to show you, but he's not doing it right now. This worries me.

Then I have my betta, Murasaki (Mura), who is my little prince but since I moved him into a bigger bowl he keeps flaring his fins which is a sign of aggression. I'm worried he's getting stressed out and why he's flarying since this new bowl I have him in is circular and doesn't reflect his face or anything. In his little bowl that I got him in (like a little cup thing.) he kept making bubble nests and I was hoping he was getting ready to breed, but I haven't gotten him a mate yet.

Does anyone have any solution for this poor college student?

I'm very worried about them. A speedy response to make me feel better would be so nice.

UPDATE:
Mr. Periwinkle is in a square tank.
Murasaki is in a round bowl tank.

how big of a tank is ur koi in? o_O and ur betta needs a 5+gallon tank w/ filter and heater, but anyways, he is prob just stressed and getting used to his new home

I think is tank is about 1.5-2 gallons and Mr. Perry's tank is the same.

Perry has a filter, but Mura doesn't.... -head desk- What temp does a betta's tank have to be at? I've never had to get one for them before that's why I'm asking, my betta's have always lived a long time even without the filter and the heater because I clean their tanks frequently but I wanna go by the books this time cause I want to breed him.

I don't think he's a koi fish, but I think he's a type of gold fish but they labeled him Koi. No offense to walmart, but they're kind of retarded at the pet thing.... I ripped walmart a new one for the conditions of the betta fish.

I want to know if he's aggressive though and how I can make his home better, both of them... I don't want them to both be so stressed... And should I just give in and take Perry back to walmart where he'll probably die....

OH And thanks for the welcome, I've always loved fish but I'm just now getting back into them.

-stares- Dear god...

-cries a little- Do I have to do that...

And I don't think we have a local pond... I'm from a small-ish college town in Michigan and it's just about winter... I don't want him to die...

Back
Top Bottom