kosher sea salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Using Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Can this be used in treatment of ich?

Hello Vance...

Yes, it can be used. You can also use standard aquarium salt or commercial canning salt. Just avoid table salt, it may contain additives that would be toxic to fish and plants.

Just a thought: Start with small doses. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your replacement water. You can increase the amount as needed, but only up to a tablespoon for 5 gallons. Using more than that can be harmful to your aquatic plants.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Vance...

Yes, it can be used. You can also use standard aquarium salt or commercial canning salt. Just avoid table salt, it may contain additives that would be toxic to fish and plants.

Just a thought: Start with small doses. A teaspoon for every 5 gallons of your replacement water. You can increase the amount as needed, but only up to a tablespoon for 5 gallons. Using more than that can be harmful to your aquatic plants.

B

Thank you bbradbury my good friend brought me some aquarium salt thats all i used was a teaspoon with a water change how often should i dose with a pwc

Using Salt

Thank you bbradbury my good friend brought me some aquarium salt thats all i used was a teaspoon with a water change how often should i dose with a pwc

Hello again V...

Just a teaspoon in roughly every 5 gallons of new water. I still use the buckets when I change the tank water. So, as the 5 gallon bucket is filling with tap water, I treat the water and add the aquarium salt. I use a little warmer water than that in the tank. The salt dissolves by the time the bucket fills.

If you're treating the tank for parasites, you can replace up to half the tank's volume every three to four days. Do a good job of vacuuming, but avoid the areas around your plants.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again V...

Just a teaspoon in roughly every 5 gallons of new water. I still use the buckets when I change the tank water. So, as the 5 gallon bucket is filling with tap water, I treat the water and add the aquarium salt. I use a little warmer water than that in the tank. The salt dissolves by the time the bucket fills.

If you're treating the tank for parasites, you can replace up to half the tank's volume every three to four days. Do a good job of vacuuming, but avoid the areas around your plants.

B

Ok thank you and im treating for ich

Zach it will help also if you use a thermometer in the replacement water your using for WC to have it already around 84-86 degrees, so your heater doesn't have to keep trying to maintain the constant water temp needed for the Ich treatment. Just a passing thought dude.

vaquero said:
Zach it will help also if you use a thermometer in the replacement water your using for WC to have it already around 84-86 degrees, so your heater doesn't have to keep trying to maintain the constant water temp needed for the Ich treatment. Just a passing thought dude.

Thank you turning my living room heater on did help alot all though it stunk at first lol keeping the room at 70 helped alot and did help keep the temp stable through the night and i will have to look into looking at the new water coming in

Back
Top Bottom