Kribensis With Boesemani/Turquoise Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SSGWJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting a 29 gallon freshwater tank... had the idea of stocking it with a breeding pair of Kribensis, and a small school of Boesemani or Turquoise Rainbows (4 or 5). The long term plan would be to re-locate the rainbowfish to a larger aquarium (75 gallon) once they were fully grown. Would a breeding pair of Kribs be OK with the Rainbows? If not... I thought of either doing 2 same sex Kribensis with the Rainbows or 1 Kribensis and 4 Emerald Green Corys to go with the rainbows. What sounds like the best idea?

Thanks.

Forgot to add... this is not a planted tank. Have fake (although tasteful silk, at least) plants and Tahitian Moon Sand (1.5" deep). Will also be adding rocks and caves for the Kribensis.

TTT.... Does anyone have a similar setup or think one of these setups will work?

Thanks, Scott

Anyone have experience with these fish? I also thought about doing a small school of Neon Dwarf (praecox) with some Celebes rainbows instead of the Boesemani. Really wondering if the Kribensis (breeding or not) will work with Rainbows. I've googled this extensively, and can't seem to find and concrete information.

Thanks,
Scott

A 29g tank is too small for the majority of rainbows. Celebes, threadfins, maybe gertrudae would all work... Bosemani, praecox, turquoise all get too big and enjoy the swimming room that a 4' or bigger tank has. Even with the intentions of upgrading, without having the bigger tank already, I see too much room for life happening and the new tank not getting set up (it's unaviodable sometimes). Even the rainbows that will work would not be a great idea with a pair of kribs. A single krib or two females might work, since the majority of the risk would be during breeding time... but it still might be a little risky. There are tons of options, though, if you want kribs and some other fish... options that might be a little better IMO (lots of nice tetras that'll work).

I agree with rookie. Kribs are not excellent community fish. Even a single one can be a terror to its tankmates. Sometimes, they are chill though, it all depends. If you want to try a girl krib or too, be careful to get speedy tankmtes that prefer the upper level of the tank imo. I don't think a krib and corys would be a good idea, but maybe somebody else has a different opinion. :)

Thanks all... think ill just bypass the kribs for another day. Current plan is to get 1 bolivian ram, a small school of emerald green or sterbai corys (4 or 5) and a school of rainbows. Wanted to get 6-7 praecox, but can't find them locally. Will probably get a small school of boesemani (4 or 5 juvis) and then rehome them when they outgrow my space. If I don't have the 75 set by then, I'll rehome them elsewhere (have some good LFS options) Does anyone see a problem with this setup other than the rainbows being too large as adults?

I don't like the idea of putting the rainbows in such a small tank. I kept some in a 40 breeder, which has significantly more surface area, and they just didn't act like rainbows until I moved them to my 125. Even with the intention of rehoming them or upgrading, I don't like it.

Appreciate the input. I've seen many people who say 30-36 inch is too small, while others have reported long term success in 29 gallon tanks, 40 breeders and other 30-36 inch configurations. As someone who is enthusiastic about these fish... I see no harm in trying a 29 for a grow out tank. If it doesn't

I was saying if it doesn't work, then I won't try it again. Given the different real life experiences both good and bad... ill give it a shot. I'd actually rather have the praecox but can't find them in the st. Louis area.

I think praecox or bosemani would definitely do better than turqoise or some of the other larger rainbows... that's for sure. As long as you rehome them or get them a bigger tank once they do reach the point that they don't seem happy, that's great. I just prefer to have a larger tank than the minimum, ya know

I will say... I had some goyder rivers in my tank that definitely seemed happier than the bosemani, praecox, and turqoise... if you're up for other suggestions.

Thanks rookie... appreciate your advice and suggestions. The Goyders really are beautiful fish. My problem is local availability. I'm actually really leaning toward the praecox. My LFS could order them but it would be more expensive then say, ordering from a place like Liveaquaria. I'm just a bit uneasy about ordering online but I guess its no different than LFS ordering... transportation stress would be the same. Quality of stock is the big question mark. Have you ever ordered online and if so do you have any recommendations? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom