Let's talk about "wasting" disease

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
Some people call it wasting disease, some call it "skinny" disease. I've seen my share of it over the last few years I've had fish. I never seem to be able to save these fish. They still eat, yet get progressively thinner, until they get weak, and slowly stop eating, then literally waste away. Is this common among fish keepers?

I've tried various meds. Antibiotics such as Maracyn, Maracyn 2, Furan and Kanaplex, and wormers such as Prazi-Pro, and even Fenben and Metro. Yet sooner or later, every fish that is affected dies. Some hang on for months. Lately I've had endler deaths that are unexplained, and it looks like wasting disease to me. All parameters are normal. I started out with about 20 endlers in a 10 gallon, and after a few months, the females started looking bad. Even though I have both males and females, this is about four months later, and I still only have around 20 fish. This means that many must be dying. I never see the bodies, so they must be getting eaten. I have about three in there right now that have clamped fins and are too thin and weak. It seems very few of the males develop this problem. I have treated that tank twice with Prazi-Pro, but I haven't seen any improvement. There are no signs of parasites like stringy white poo, and no marks on the bodies of the fish. What do you guys do in a situation like this? I do 40-50% water changes weekly. Thank you.

Kind of following here as never really had that.

Some fish types I find just don't work and catch any infection possible. After a few tries I just give up on them.

I have never heard of this. Your positive it isn't Internal Parasites? I have had some IP's where nothing worked but force feeding medicated foods.

I've had a female guppy and a male and female molly with it. They died. As far as I know there is no cure? I THINK I may have read that it is from fish TB?

Fishobsessed7

Yes, I've also read it could be TB, columnaris, bacteria, or parasites. I guess there is really no official "wasting disease" per se. I'm just wondering if I'm not just wasting time and money to treat fish that are bound to die, no matter what. Delapool, maybe it's just certain fish or types of fish, and that I should expect a death now and then. But, like I said, I have at least three looking the same way in that particular tank right now. That seems like too high a percentage, unless they had low immunity and caught an infection. I realize there are gram negative and gram positive infections. I've tried meds for both in the past, with no good results. Thanks for the responses so far.

I read livebearers and labyrinth fish are more likely to get it than most?

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom