Light guard to block tank lights from view?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently upgraded to T5HO lights for my planted tank, they look great. One problem, I'm sitting on my couch, I look over at my tank, and I start squinting with eye strain. The fixture (AquaticLife) sits 4 inches above the tank top, and therefor, I can see the bulbs from the couch (see below). Is there anything I can buy to block this? A full-top canopy would be nice, but the tank is a bowfront, Aqueon 36G.

img_2903831_0_05f8a0be8ba32c4004b8dfa5ef5b50da.png

Canopy would be your best bet.... I don't know if they make standard canopies for bow fronts or not. But if your slightly handy with power tools and wood they're fairly easy to build! I personally love the DIY stuff thogh.

I'll make you one!! You could just fashion a sort of flap that would hang in front to block light?? A piece of black plastic, razor knife and a couple screws would do..

DIY Light Shield

Dense cardboard or fiberboard and some duck tape as a water proof cover. Almost free and easy to make. Here's a couple of pics of mine on my 29g. I have this same brand light. OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1023.jpg
    DSCF1023.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF1022.jpg
    DSCF1022.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 147
Good idea. And nice tank, Old Scales! What is that green plant on the right, with the long nodes? And the small pink ones on the left/middle right?

The plants on the back right is Ambulia (Limnophilia sassiliflora). Great plant for medium light and glut only. The red plants in the middle are Alternanthera Renieki 'Mini by Tropica. I had to order them from a Tropica dealer in the UK. OS.

Those Ambulia look really nice. I'm curious, do you have any plant substrate under your gravel? Or root tabs? Or is it just gravel? Looks nice

I had all Flora-Max for a year, then did a rescape and used Eco-Complete Black fine grade. Both have grown plants very well. I always put a few root tabs around whether I have root or water column feeders. I've also got some Limno growing well in just Petco gravel w/root tabs, w/medium light, glut only. OS.

Ah, maybe that's what I'm missing...root tabs! I also have Eco-Complete Fine Grade, EI dosing, CO2 & T5HO, but have not used root tabs yet. What brand do you use?

Root Tabs

Fresh20 put me onto some root tabs I really like. They're made by Aquafertz and can be ordered from the online site I am attaching a link to. You get 75 tabs for $11. I got a bottle each of the Total, Iron, and Traces. I also got their nifty tab applicator tube device that makes inserting the tabs easy and dry. The Total ones should be plenty good for all applications. OS.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquaFertz_com_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_SYSTEM_p/fert.htmhttp://

My gills are burning...
Those pellets are great (the ones OS is referring to). If you purchase from AquariumPlants, do get the pellet injector. Wonderfully simple and useful tool.
Yes, a light baffle (or whatever OS called them) works well for blocking light. I painted the underside of the baffle I am using silver to reflect light back into the tank. I suppose white works just as well.

Fresh your gills are burning cause your ammonia is too high! Some Bud Light should dilute it! OS.

Now you're talking!
Funny you should say that. So caught up testing only nitrate and phosphate trying to get the PPS Pro dialed in right because my plants are not looking so good <breathe> I did test ammonia and nitrate: 0/0

Fresh20 put me onto some root tabs I really like. They're made by Aquafertz and can be ordered from the online site I am attaching a link to. You get 75 tabs for $11. I got a bottle each of the Total, Iron, and Traces. I also got their nifty tab applicator tube device that makes inserting the tabs easy and dry. The Total ones should be plenty good for all applications. OS. http://www.aquariumplants.com/AquaFertz_com_SUBSTRATE_VITALIZATION_SYSTEM_p/fert.htmhttp://
OS, that's a dead link?? I sure would like to see this injector you speak of!

OK cool! The applicator works good with Preparation H suppositors also. Just thought you need to know. OS.
I'd be concerned with the cross contamination.. Doubt my plants would benefit much from hemorrhoid cream..than again.. Could be the missing link!!

Back
Top Bottom