Light in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodie_jo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey,

Just got home from a long holiday had someone checking on the fish and automatic feeder but have noticed my light is no longer working. I have no natural plants as the fish decided to destroy them but wondered if having no light has an effect on the fish? I am shopping for another but have been to the pet shop twice and they are all out so wanted to make sure they will be ok in the mean time.

Many thanks.

IMO You should have no problem, take your time locating your light. The main reason to light a FW tank is to see your fish, unless you have live plants. You may just need a new bulb or have a corroded connection. Or it could be a good time to upgrade.

Good luck.

Just make sure they receive some kind of lighting every day. Whether it be light from the room or indirect sun light.

A few days without light- definitely not a problem. In fact, a total blackout for up to two weeks is often prescribed to rid a tank of blue green algae. I've personally blacked out a tank for three weeks without any apparent fish distress. More than a month without any light would probably foul up circadian rhythms, which govern feeding, sleep, and mating behaviors.

Ever hear of a cave fish? It lives in total darkness. IME they need only ambient light (circadian rhythms) to live. While they will thrive better with light IME they can live without direct lighting for long periods. Like winter.

Cave fish are an eyeless tetra, an oddity. I don't know were your tropical fish come from, but most of mine see the sun all year round. Except of course in the dead of winter in the Amazon basin when the real snow storms start rolling through. I think it is in January and February.

the fish in aquariums don't actually need a light, its mainly for the owner to see his pets, make the tank look better, growing plants, etc. most aquarium fish lived in murky or shaded water anyways, but you should be fine

rich311k said:
Cave fish are an eyeless tetra, an oddity. I don't know were your tropical fish come from, but most of mine see the sun all year round. Except of course in the dead of winter in the Amazon basin when the real snow storms start rolling through. I think it is in January and February.

:lach:

Rich, lets go ice fishing this winter when the Amazon freezes over!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ezy, to clarify, I meant that more than a month of total blackout would probably affect circadian rhythms. In the absence of live plants, jodie_jo could go without lighting indefinitely without any harm to the fish. The ambient room lighting would be more than enough to keep them happy!

Yeah, I wouldn't worry short term if they're still eating.

Personally the first thing I would eliminate is the bulb, if you have a bulb of the same size to put in. If it lights up just fine you just need to replace the bulb (and you don't need an expensive fish store one, the hardware store ones are fine).

Next comes ballast. If you can't light a known good bulb it's either the ballast or (possibly, on an older setup) the starter.

rich311k said:

My tropical fish come from the LFS, just like yours.

If you could think about it, then you would know that below the equator, their winter is during our summer and the toilet spins the other direction! (clockwise)

Anyway, my 180 GAL FW just went through 8 months of being illuminated by ambient lighting, only by a east facing window (very little light). NO problems, I now have a shop light ( 2 40 watts) above them and they couldn't be happier.

Thank you tropicfishman and QTOFFER, you are the voice of reason on this site.
While Fishyfanatic and rich311k can post what they think they have read, some of us either understand and/or have the experience.

Thanks for all the replies, feel much more at ease now knowing the little guys aren't afraid of the dark!

ezy33 said:
While Fishyfanatic and rich311k can post what they think they have read, some of us either understand and/or have the experience.

Since nothing that was posted by either one is incorrect, I have to assume you have a personal issue, yes? As a result, your privileges for posting in this thread have been removed. There is no reason for striking out with personal barbs here.

Did I miss one of Fishyfanatic's posts? I don't really understand what the "While Fishyfanatic and rich311k can post what they think they have read, some of us either understand and/or have the experience," is about.

You're not talking about keeping fish in a closet, are you? Normal room, lit during the day by daylight/lighting, that sort of thing? or maybe I'm misreading ezy33? Hang on, ezy33 isn't the OP...

I know this is OT but I felt it urgent that I correct something stated earlier in this thread:

Water does not spin in opposite directions as it goes down the drain in the northern versus the southern hemisphere. For more information see here. The direction of spin is basically random and is not affected by the hemisphere one may happen to currently inhabit. Tragically, successive generations have been misinformed by this urban legend and may spend many fruitless and frustrating hours flushing their toilets while visiting Australia (or the Orinoco basin). Please, help stop this senseless tragedy :p

Back
Top Bottom