Light without glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new 55g off of craigslist ($40). Tank is in great condition, held water, I didn't see any scratches! Still even has the middle bracket :) Well he didn't have a hood for it, but he did have the light strip. Had some artificial plants and whatnot. When I bought the equipment for my 20g, I made sure to buy the stuff for a bigger tank, as I knew I would upgrade.

So I have everything that I need except for a hood/glass. I cannot afford the hood or glass divider this week, so it might be another week or two before I can get one.

So my question is: Can I use the light strip without the glass temporarily?

I know I will lose water do to evaporation, but will it harm my fish if I don't have a glass divider in between?

Thanks in advance, I <3 you guys n gals!

From my research, no, it will not hurt the fish. Some planted tank activists recommend not using a glass top for planted tanks, although I do. But, no, it should harm your fish at all.

Cool! That's great to hear :) I will still buy one for the fact that I'm nervous about dropping the light strip in the tank. <-- lol :)

That and evaporation, we've had a very hot summer. Even with the hood on my 29g, I have to keep an eye on my water level.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it!

Another eel owner! :D. Love them.

I love him too, he's often hiding, and coming out here and there. However, he's still very small. They say he get's about 12"-14" in max legnth, however, he's still very small. I've had him since September of last year.

Do you happen to know how long it will take him to get 8" or so? I'm just as happy waiting, but it would be nice to know. The upgrade on the tank is to help my fish get a little bigger.

Last edited:
Just don't put it right over anything that splashes water, like an airstone or filter output as the water can short them out when it builds up.

Maybe put it more towards the front of the tank if possible until you can get hoods for it.

You should be fine for the short term.

Back
Top Bottom