Lighting.. LED VS Power compact for discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candymancan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys question.. I have a Duel 65w PC light over my discus tank currently with separate reflectors for each light.. I turned off one of the PC lights like 3 weeks ago because I noticed my discus didn't like so much lighting. The bulb currently on all the time is the 6700/6700 light.. The fixture is above the water line like 5-6 inches.. and yet it still seems the discus don't like the light can never really get them to come out in the open..

You walk upstairs and walk by the tank and all you see is empty with neons lol. The discus are healthy and they do come out but my driftwood I have is a huge stump so its about 9 inches in the air with its roots holding it up and well makes for lots of shady area's with tunnles.. That's where they usually hang out.. If I turn the PC light off.. and just keep my 13 inch T8 on which I use as a transitional light from daytime to nighttime so I don't spook them.. or morning to day.. If I just keep that on.. my discus all over the tank. swimming around, shoaling together.. Sooo im starting to think even the single PC light is too much for them..

I recently got a Fluval ECO LED light for my 30g tank as its duel T5NO died on me.. and this LED light isn't nearly as bright as my T5's but it does light the tank sufficiently.. I am thinking of buying another one for my discus tank and taking the PC fixture off all together.. But I dunno..

sorry for the long post.. but im curious what you guys think. The discus tank is planted.. but has nothing special in it.. Just a ton of water sprite and a big broad leaf anubias and a wisteria.. Has some green combamba in it too and a sword.. So I don't need the super high light my PC is putting off.

Or should I remove the driftwood ? The wood is well LARGE lol and is taking up probably 4 gallons of water volume, its taking up probably 40% of the tank space and the discus I know like it.. The tunnles. the shade and hiding spots it creates when one is chasing another... But as I said it seems to be creating too many hiding spots and I can never see the discus lol

Back
Top Bottom