Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike4242

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello there everybody. I was curious, if I put let's say 3 clown loaches and 3 zebra loaches. (maybe red tail Botia) haven't decided yet. In a 75 gallon. Would the two types still school with eachother? Brcause i heard 6 was a good number of loaches to have Stupid question but they are the sane exact fish aside from color. Let me know what u think. Thanks a lot!

they will all be on the bottom and swim together but they would interact more if more of the simlar species exist.

your tank is plenty big, so you can start out with 3/3 but later maybe move to 5/3 that would make them happier. The reason I say this, is because eventually one of the clown loaches will get bigger than the others and he will 'run the show'. the zebras will basically 'tag along' for the ride. Clown loaches are so goofy when in a school. make sure you have places fro them to hide and go in like a fake log. and live plants.

You know I really hate how clown loaches and yoyos and zebras are all more popular than kuhlis when kuhlis are a GREAT species the stay out of the way, can live with almost any species, clean gravel and decor and are amazing to watch! The only bad things are they can dissapear for months in the gravel and eat algae wafers, which isn't a problem for most because plecos eat them too. And if you have 6+ kuhlis you will see them much more and will be more willing to come out and play with their species!

You know I really hate how clown loaches and yoyos and zebras are all more popular than kuhlis when kuhlis are a GREAT species the stay out of the way, can live with almost any species, clean gravel and decor and are amazing to watch! The only bad things are they can dissapear for months in the gravel and eat algae wafers, which isn't a problem for most because plecos eat them too. And if you have 6+ kuhlis you will see them much more and will be more willing to come out and play with their species!

*I mean they stay out of the way of bigger fishes...*

Clown loaches will (slowly) outgrow a 75, and different species won't school together. Red tail botia's are rather aggressive, even toward other species IME. Personally I prefer the kubotai botias, have 10 in my 125. They don't grow too large for a 4' tank, interact with each other but don't hassle other species like red tail or yoyo's do. Also develop a more intricate and attractive pattern as they grow/mature. Clown loaches in particular lose the vibrant colors as they get larger, eventually look washed out.

Kuhli Loach said:

I have three in my 25 gallon they are beautiful I plan on getting more. I also have some yoyos very cool to

toddnbecka said:
Clown loaches will (slowly) outgrow a 75, and different species won't school together. Red tail botia's are rather aggressive, even toward other species IME. Personally I prefer the kubotai botias, have 10 in my 125. They don't grow too large for a 4' tank, interact with each other but don't hassle other species like red tail or yoyo's do. Also develop a more intricate and attractive pattern as they grow/mature. Clown loaches in particular lose the vibrant colors as they get larger, eventually look washed out.

We just got 3 kubitai botia's and just love them. We will probably get 2 or 3 more.

Back
Top Bottom