Local driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxw47

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Am I ok to just take driftwood from a local creek or just something I find laying around? I've heard of people doing it and it works just fine, but I just want to make sure that a dry piece of cottonwood, pine, aspen, etc would work. All of these trees are plentiful in Colorado so I would have no problem finding some. Because the pieces I find will most likely be dry and float for months, I'll probably silicone a slab of flagstone to the bottom.

I've done it before, but just make sure that it isn't sitting around in pollution and you're not at a place where they don't allow it, i.e. state park, nature reserve, etc. I'd also make sure to boil it to get all of the ickies off;). I'm not sure specifically about the wood, but I'm pretty sure I've read things that say not to get pine, but like I said I am not complete positive on that. I think that the others sound okay... Yeah..

Yup, no pine. You need to use hard woods that have no sap. So no cotton wood, either. Not sure about the aspen.

Ok sounds good. I don't really like the look of pine any ways. I'm not too familiar with which woods are hardwoods so ill do a little research.

Ok I did some research and I guess aspen works well. I've got a bunch of it within walking distance of my house. If anybody has a 5,000+ gallon tank I've got a great piece for you lol. It's a young maple tree that's been dead since I moved here. But yeah I think I'll go get some aspen for my tanks...like...right now :D

Local Driftwood

Am I ok to just take driftwood from a local creek or just something I find laying around? I've heard of people doing it and it works just fine, but I just want to make sure that a dry piece of cottonwood, pine, aspen, etc would work. All of these trees are plentiful in Colorado so I would have no problem finding some. Because the pieces I find will most likely be dry and float for months, I'll probably silicone a slab of flagstone to the bottom.

Hello Max...

Local pieces work fine. I've never heard of any laws around the river areas that prohibit taking pieces of wood. My tanks are full of the local stuff. I just rinse the piece with the pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose and leave it out to dry for a couple of days. Then, weigh it down with some rocks from the same area I got the wood. These are cheaper and look more natural than the stuff in the pet stores. The natural piece won't leach the tannic acid that turns the tank water that amber color.

B

I just finished spraying a piece that I got. It was dry when I got it. I broke it so that it'll fit in the 10 gallon it's going in. I have it sitting in RO water right now. It's from an aspen tree and I really like it. I'll probably silicone some small stones to the bottom, it floats like a cork.

The wood has been in the tank for a while, just thought I'd post a pic. You guys like it?

Attachments

• image-1280404096.jpg
    image-1280404096.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom