Logic and logistics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah! I’m really hoping just now that over worked it down to reasonable levels the maintenance won’t be quite as overwhelming and will be easier to deal with. We’re what, two years in with this tank now? And still no real breeding population of shrimp :/

Yes, that is a huge frustration. Generally they get to breeding in a tank by around 6 months of adding a new colony in my experience.

Some people get them breeding in 2 months or so. Older juvenile/adult stock or berried females can make the difference. Locally vs. traveling in the mail, better odds in the local ones.

Since yours are coming from afar, do a little vac in any bare areas, add in some botanicals. Try not to clean too much. Correct parameters and temp and do a reasonable acclimation. I would wait for a filter pad clean until another week or 2 after they are in there. To keep the most BB as possible in the transition period.

Have you used leaves, alder cones very much? It isn't as fun keeping the shrimp if they aren't breeding. :(

My old colony in the edge tank was so easy peasy, I think it made me overconfident :) I wish I had been able to move that tank faster back when, but, as they say, if fishes we’re wishes... I’m feeling pretty good about this attempt though. I feel like with the r/o system in place I’ve got the hardware to keep up finally, rather than buying a few gallons of distilled water occasionally. There’s still 3 or 4 shrimp in there (they might even be second generation shrimp) so who knows? This might just work.

Pretty sure you know all about taking care of the shrimp but just hoping for your success too. The leaves are a nice addition for extra biofilm. I will be ordering new shrimp soon too and this plan is on my mind as well!

They're out for delivery! And once again I just shake my head at how stuff coming from California has to go to Denver before it comes here. Seems like they should have a Salt Lake stop or something.

These guys look really nice. Much happier than the last time where I think I ordered 20 and wound up with 11 live ones or something, I should go back and look it up [emoji4] I haven’t tried to count them yet but I don’t know if there’s any that are dead. Quite pleased with this one.

35Q48EP.jpg

Yeah, I’m excited :) thinking about this now I think there’s now more shrimp in there than there’s ever been before. And when my wife was looking at it she called me over because at least one of the shrimp was already berried! So who knows if she’ll carry them to birth but it’s a good sign at least :)

That berried shrimp could very well have babies!!! Good, clean water, yummy food. Rooting for the new to come baby "Colorado" shrimp!

Looks like a good bunch! Some great color in there. Fingers crossed and hopping for the best!

tWOydM3.jpg

Holy smokes it's way more fun to be able to look over at the aquarium and see a bunch of shrimp at once rather than have to hunt for the one that's out.

tWOydM3.jpg

Holy smokes it's way more fun to be able to look over at the aquarium and see a bunch of shrimp at once rather than have to hunt for the one that's out.

Isn't it though! :dance: Looks like the shrimp are super busy and also settling in to the business of tank cleaning! I can hardly wait for my next batch of shrimp sometime in the next month! Only shrimp I have now are see through - ("Ghost" shrimp breeds in FW) hard to see - nearly invisible! Not fun farther than 6-10 inches from the tank, lol!

:popcorn:

ZcMIqMy.jpg

The berried one was in the perfect place to take a picture so I did. She’s still pretty immature so who knows if she’ll carry them all the way through, but it’s still nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom