Lonely guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CallMeIshmael95

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my tank I have five mollies in a variety of types, but I have one guppy named tuna. He doesn't really interact with the mollies at all and the mollies are constantly playing with each other. They don't pick on him or anything. This sounds really sad, but every time I try to get him guppy friends they get picked on and die. Tuna is my only fish I've had since he was just a fry, but I'm worried he gets lonely. Can that happen to fish?

Even though Mollies are communal fish, I have seen communal fish establish their territory within the tank. It could be that your mollies have established their territory and the guppy has learned to stay out of it. If you're adamant in adding another guppy (and have the space and bio-load for it), then move around some plants and decorations.

In my tank I have five mollies in a variety of types, but I have one guppy named tuna. He doesn't really interact with the mollies at all and the mollies are constantly playing with each other. They don't pick on him or anything. This sounds really sad, but every time I try to get him guppy friends they get picked on and die. Tuna is my only fish I've had since he was just a fry, but I'm worried he gets lonely. Can that happen to fish?

Guppys are community fish, but they're not schooling or shoaling so they can be kept alone without any problems. So unless you really want to add more, I'm sure tuna is doing fine, just keep him healthy

Thanks. It's just.. All the mollies I bought in pairs and the pairs can always be found together. He's just kind of swimming around all by his lonesome it's sometimes sad to watch. I was only curious because I once had a Cory in my tank with mollies and he last a few weeks before he died. I heard they do that if they aren't kept in groups. I didn't know if guppies were the same.

Thanks. It's just.. All the mollies I bought in pairs and the pairs can always be found together. He's just kind of swimming around all by his lonesome it's sometimes sad to watch. I was only curious because I once had a Cory in my tank with mollies and he last a few weeks before he died. I heard they do that if they aren't kept in groups. I didn't know if guppies were the same.

Cories are normally kept in groups of six minimum. All livebearers(mollies, platies, guppies, swordtails, etc) need to be kept at a M:F of 1:2 to keep the females from dying from the male's attention when keeping in multiple-sex groups.

I don't think guppies get lonely, at least not how we humans understand "lonely" to feel. I do, however, think that if guppies don't interact with others of its kind, whether it's a favorable or unfavorable interaction, they will not show their normal behavior, which is probably what you're seeing. That probably goes for most living things, by the way. Get him some female friends and you'll likely see a different guppy.

David

Well, I went to the store and got some tiger barbs. As you most likely know, tiger barbs school. And as soon as I put them in the tank Tuna joined their school. He's been with them ever since. :)

Well, I went to the store and got some tiger barbs. As you most likely know, tiger barbs school. And as soon as I put them in the tank Tuna joined their school. He's been with them ever since. :)

Just be careful that they don't nip him. I'd hate to see him hurt for trying to buddies!

Back
Top Bottom