looking for snail eater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brant

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gal comunity recently planted and now I have snails pulled 3 out but I know theres got to be more I want them out but I will not use chemical means. I was wondreing if anyone could suggest a fish up for the task that will also fit my tank or atleast tolerate the tank size for six months till I peace together my 120 gal set up. My tank inhabitance are 5 spotted cory's, 2 gold groamys,3 black skirt tetras and one clown pleco that is that will be what is left after I take my 3 serpey tetras and 2 rosey barbs back to the lfs as they and the gold groamys are not good freinds (if you know what i mean) I was researching catfish and was considering a pigmy catfish (synodontis petricolor) that is if I can find one. Oh water paramiters ph 7.2 kh 53 ppm (3 on the ap test) gh 0 amm. 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5ppm and kept under 10 ppm, lots of rocks driftwood and plants.

Here is a list of supposed snail eaters http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/4742/snail_faq.html

However buying fish to eat snails is sometimes like buying cats to catch mice. Just because a fish is "supposed" to eat snails doesn't mean it will.

You can try to drastically reduce the population by cutting down on how much the tank is fed, and leaving lettuce at the bottem of the tank overnight. By morning there should be snails all over it and you can then pull it out and toss it. Do this a few nights in a row till you aren't seeing so many snails.

As a side note I believe my Raphael Catfish eats snails. He's not on the aforementioned list. But since I put him in the tank I have not seen ANY snails, where previously I'd see some now and again.

Most types of loach will take care of your snail problem very quickly. I had snails in my tank when i was cycling (they came from the plants), i added 3 zebra loach, and within a day they were all gone! Some loaches, such as clowns get very big, but there are some smaller alternatives, such as the zebra (striata - 3-4"), yo-yo loach a bit bigger (4-5") and also love snails. There are many other types, there is also a dwarf loach, which is very small, but may not handle larger snails.

Yeah, loaches... You could go with small clown loaches. They would not be ideal for the 29, but they are slow growers, so if you got them fairly small, and planned to move them into the 120 later, they should be fine for a little while. As suggested, you could also go with yo-yo's. If you plan on getting very large fish in the 120 later, the clowns may be the way to go since they would get big enough to hold their own. Otherwise, with the fish you have, either should work. Others might also be good choices, but I can only recommend what I am familiar with.

Thank you all for the good info. I like the yo-yo loaches I just wonder if between a pair of them and my cory's if that would cause a conflict. And I love the clown loaches and plan to have 3 of them in the 120 with all sand substrait but would like to save them till I get the bigger tank(another excuse to buy more fishes lol). As for the snail traps with veggies that sounds like agreat idea but know new fish :cry: . I gues I will go to the lfs and see what I can't resist. ( I love having a well stocked and good looking lfs besides his moto is if I aint got I can get it lol bad news for my wallet)

AFAIK yo-yo loach and corys should get along fine. As long as they have planty of hiding places, areas in which they can claim thier own, that they can retreat to. Id go for some loaches, they're great fishes!

Well as for hiding places let me put it this way the 5 spooted cory's I have can all disapere in the blink of an I without disturbing my clown pleco. I still have know idea were they all go. I spent alot of time at the lfs looking for just th right size and shape rocks and driftwood to build a veritable laberinth in my tank I think i spent more time on the rocks than any thing else in the tank including breaking chisleing and sandig to get the most bang for my space. I wish i could shrink I want to play to. LOL

In that case i would go for some yo-yos then! They do best in groups of three or more. They will be most entertaining! 8)

Well lfs here I come (my wallet hates that place). Got to talk to them about options for the 120 anyway thinking about the preinstalled overflow option on the tank(my wallet 8O - :cry: ) I think it comes with 2 of em on that size.

I have a 24g and i bought 4 dwarf chained loaches, botia sidthmunki. Although rare they are definitly worth it being small in size perfect for your tank. Loaches should be in groups so the more the merrier, but with larger loaches that might be a problem for you tank. These dwarf loaches took care of my huge snail problem in two days. they are sometimes also called: monkey loach and dwarf loach.

my young yo-yo and cory get along great. They will even swim together as if they are playing.

Back
Top Bottom