Looking to convert to canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YoungOne

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 38 gallon Eclipse 3 tank with the built in filter system. I am looking to convert to the external canister type. Any recommendations?

I am looking for one I can use loose media (not in bags or pouches and I can buy in bulk).
There are so many out there, it is difficult to narrow down.
I have a couple in mind but they are for 75 and 100 gallons.

Is going with a bigger filter better?
Are there recommended brands or ones to shy away from?

:fish1:

You can get one for 80g and should be fine. Most of my club members double the stated volume as those numbers are done running a perfectly clean filter. They slow down with use. JMHO

I've got an Eheim Ecco and an older Fluval. Both work great. The Eheim is self priming which I love. The Fluval was free which I also love.

Do either of those use loose media?
My current problem is that they have discontinued the Eclipse3 hoods and the LFS have also stopped carrying the filters. I am looking to break out from having to use a specific "bag" of this or that and am looking for a canister filter that I can, for example, use loose diamond charcoal form Marineland and the ceramic balls from Fluval, and the filter sponge from "Bob's-Your-Uncle-Fish-Place" web site, etc. and if something is going on with the fish, change one or some of the items to help fix the problem.

Thanks!

You can get a generic bag from eBay for the charcoal or even use clean panty hose to make up bags.

What I was referring to was more of staying away from a canister filter that required the use of branded filter packs. I don't want to again be locked into something that gets discontinued and am no longer able to find the specialized filter packs. For example, with the Marineland Eclipse3 hood, I have to use filter pack "H".

I understand that some systems have generic "bags" that I can fill with material purchased from where ever. I am looking for recommendations of brands and models that have the "generic bag" capability. I have done research on several canister filters but many times research pales in comparison to hands on experience with a device.

This "generic bag" or open tray is the type of canister filter I am looking for recommendations for.

Thanks

I'm only familiar with Eheim canisters. Most of the media can be rinsed and used indefinitely. The only things that need to be replaced are the filter pads. The fine pad is replaced each time and the coarse pad can be rinsed and reused several times. I'm still using Eheim canisters that are over 20 years old, and the replacement pads are readily available at all of the online pet retailers and eBay.

I have a Sunsun 302, the flow is ok for my 29g but looking to move up to a 703B

I have a Marineland C-360 and will be picking up a Sunsun 304B in the future. For the fine filter pads I have seen a lot of people that are using polyfill for for stuffed toys as long as it isn't treated with a flame retardant. The coarse filter element can be ordered in bulk and cut to fit, there's several different online site that have that available< both can be rinsed and reused several times.

Canisters are a pretty generic machine. Designs are very similar, with few differentiating features. Probably most people's important criteria for canister selection that they don't realize is noise level. That can be an issue, depending on how/where it is installed.

Back
Top Bottom