Lost and Found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This morning I noticed that one of my Gold Dojos was missing. I tried to remember if I found both of them last night while doing the normal headcount, but I couldn't recall if I did or not. What's worst is that I think I forgot to include them in the usual headcount! :oops: Assuming he had just found a really good hiding spot I went on with my day figuring he'd be back out when I looked next time.

Fast forward a few hours, there was still no sign of him. Just the single Goldie resting beneath the bubble wall. By now my heart was racing because I just couldn't find it. I found one, but not the other and they're usually the two that stay reasonably close together. I started fearing the worst that it jumped out of the tank while I was doing a PWC late during the week. I began looking under the furniture, around the tank, and behind it as well, but in the end here was no trace of him.

I didn't know what to do. Should I wait and see if it comes out on it's own or should I start moving stuff in the tank to see if it pops out somewhere? I'm the type of person who wants to know what happened. i don't want to assume that it died or that it's ok - I want to see either way so I know exactly what happened. So I decided to start looking under all of the decor. I lifted just about every piece of wood, rock, and pot, but there was still no sign of him.

Finally, the last piece to move was a tall fake piece of driftwood and sure enough there he was all curled up inside the thing. I was so relieved and happy to finally find him! I don't know if he was stuck or if he would've found his way out by digging through the gravel, but I made him get out just to be on the safe side. At least now I know if it happens again that's the place to start looking!

Sorry the message is so long. I just had to share my story. I had no idea Dojos could perform such a good hiding trick! Anyone else experience this with a Dojo?

I lost my pleco earlier today in much the same way. I was clipping plants and rearranging decor and I pushed the driftwood back down in the sand, as I'd moved it a bit when putting plants behind it. Later I was looking for the pleco out of curiosity, didn't see him, so i checked all his spots and he wasn't there.. I started to worry that maybe he was under the wood when i squished it down into the sand and I pulled that all out.. no pleco.

I then blindly reached behind my tall plants where the bubble wand rests on the sand to straighten it a bit, when something started flapping against my fingers. Turns out he'd dug a trench under the bubble wand and was resting down there under it, behind the dense plant stems where no one can see him.

I lost a Platy one night, and when I didn't see her the next morning, I became worried. It is the same Platy that liked to hide in between rocks. Well, I found her dead unfortunately. I think she got herself lodged in between some rocks and couldn't back her way out of them. Next time a fish goes missing, I'm having an all out searching party, not waiting for a night to pass.

Back
Top Bottom