low PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taraj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 92 gallon freshwater tank that is 6 weeks old. Initially, my PH was 7.8 for the first week. Then for the past 5 weeks it has stayed 6.4-6.6 even with putting in a PH up product. I tested my tap water straight from the tap and the PH is 7.8 There are no live plants. There are 2 pieces driftwood, round multicolored gravel and 2 small rocks. There are gouramis, rainbows, a pleco, clown loaches and a geophagous in the tank. I am really stumped as to what is happening and what I can do to bring the PH to neutral. My NH4 is O and tests for all others are negative. I have a water softener pillow in the fluval filter. Can anyone help?

What are the water parameters (aside from pH)? Do check your gH/Kh as well. Harder water is much more difficult to change. Are the fish showing any effect from the lower pH?

And how often do you water change?

Its also possible the driftwood may be lowering the pH somewhat; not sure about the softener pillow although that may be playing a part.

We don't recommend pH up or pH down; they tend to add phosphates to the tank (causing algae probs) and can muck up a tank as well. There are some more natural ways to change pH if its necessary.

best way too lower the waters ph is with peat and too raise it put in some shells or dead coral(in your filter since its a FW tank)into the water, whats your alk reading?

Thank you for answering!
The hardness of the tank was very high on the test strip, which is the reason the water softener pillow was added.
The fish have been fine throughout.
I do a 15% change every week so far for about the past 2-3 weeks.
Should I remove the driftwood?
What should I do if anything?
Yes, the PH up had made my water cloudy!

Well my first thought is not to do anything. Your fish can thrive in a ph as low as 6.0. Constant fiddling with the ph can only stress your fish. Umm, and you say your alk is moderate? alk is ph.

Anyway, if the fish don't look stressed, just leave well enough alone. 8)

Right, I know alk is PH...........I was wondering why the other person wanted to know that...........
So you think I should just let it alone? The fish are healthy............

I wouldn't touch a thing. As long as the ph isn't jumping all over the place you'll be fine. Just a thought here Tara (My wifes' name is Tara :D ), when you measure the ph of your tap water is it straight from the faucet? You'll find you'll get a lower ph reading if you aerate it and let it sit overnight.

Thanks so much. I feel better about the PH now. And yes, I tested it straight from the faucet. I think I am going to follow your advice and leave it alone! :D THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom