Lowering Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just doing some tests from the Tap water and a well-water source that waters my grass. the Ph for my tap water was ridiculously high, at least 8.8 or above! however the Well-water had a Ph of about 7.2 - 7.4 (It was a the cutoff for both Ph tests, i have the API Master test kit).

I dont have any fish yet, and even the plants haven't come in yet. I'm obviously going to be using the well water, but I'd like to lower it just a bit more. I'm using Miracle-gro capped with Gravel, the el Natural method, but Would this raise or lower the Ph of the water?

Did you let the tap water sit for 2-24hrs and test the pH level? Mine comes out at 8.2-8.4 and drops to a solid 7.8 after letting it sit. The well water pH is fine, but I'd suggest doing all the tests on the water source you're going to use before, treating with a dechlorinator and after treating it so you know where your water parameters are.

As for the pH in the well, it's fine and I'd even say excellent as long as it's stable. Trying to lower pH and keeping it stable (that's key) is difficult to say the least (been there, tried that).

A recent PH crash that stalled my cycle sent me to days and days of research.

Test the tap water after 24 hours, agitate it with an air stone, or give it a good stir every so often. Apparently, the off-gassing will adjust your PH to what it will be in the aquarium. If you have it, do a GH/KH test. If your KH is less than 2* you'll have to worry about crashes in the presence of nitrates and off-gassing.

A KH of 3* or better will keep your PH stable. Stable PH is far, far more important than the perfect PH and frankly, 7.2-7.4 is pretty good. I'm using MTS capped with sand and the water has been a huge issue, as opposed to my substrate. I think you'll be ok, so long as your water isn't super soft and acidic, like mine, so don't waste time and effort trying to lower it artificially. If you're seriously concerned you could use some driftwood in the tank, but honestly, I encourage leaving it alone.

Last edited:
It never occured to me to leave the Water out for 24 Hours. I'm going to try it with both the well water and the tap water, and see how it goes.

The Strangest thing just happened while testing the water. When i went to test the Tapwater, the PH had gone down to 8.6ish area. However with the wellwater, the ph seemed to increase! the normal tester went up to a solid blue, but when i tested using the high end, the water was clear with a hint of brown.

Does anybody know why this could happen? I took some fresh water from the hose that leads to the wel water, and the Ph measured about 7.2. I had left the two cups outside, could this possibly cause such a weird fluctuation in the Ph? As a precaution i took the well water and placed it inside, and im gonig to repeat the test tommorow.

You'll want to test inside I think; more contaminants in the great-out-of-doors. I stir my test bowl every so often. Out of my tap it's 7.4, after 22 hours is 6.8. I'm still doing random agitation and waiting; I want to see just how low it drops. I'll be doing a 48 hour test this evening.

I just did the tests again, and its still mindboggling. When i take the well water straight from the hose, the PH Reads about 7.0. However, i tested the same water, placed inside, about 6 hours later. The readings turned a lighter blue, which seemed to be about 7.6. This morning i took another test and the readings was an even darker blue, and on the high range it seemed to be approxmatly between 7.6 and 8.0 (the water was a clear brown, wasnt sure which it matched).

the Water i had tested last night seemed to change color, i had left in in the test tube, and i swear it looks like a darker blue now. Does that happen? And what could be causing the Ph to increase?

Soft water has less stability with regards to pH. Only take the readings right after the test, leaving the test tube sit will give you false results.

Did you run full sets of tests on the well & tap water and what are those results?

You might try doing a 50/50 mix of tap/well water, let it sit for 24hrs and then run a full set of tests on that mix. IMO, a stable pH is more important than what the actual numbers is (within reason of course).

Make sure that you shake your testing solution vigorously. Everybody knows about the Nitrate bottle #2, but I got false high reading on Ph when my test kit was new. I was so shocked at how high that I had to do the test over. My first thought was the test solution "settling" so I shook and shook. Then did 2 tests back to back, and they were normal. I also took a water sample to my LFS to validate my values. (I made them shake all their solutions well because they don't test water every day and all the solutions settle)

Also, driftwood will lower Ph. In my experience each piece will lower it about .2 There are TONS of articles online if you search "driftwood to lower Ph"

the Reading right out of the hose was about 7.0. I had let the water sit for about 8 hours, i had done a new test and the well water was 7.4-7.6ish, and after 24 hours another test was done and it was 7.6 - 8.0 ish. In each instance i had done a new test, however the middle test and the last test i had done have the same coloration of water by now. (having left them in the tube).

The Tap water after 24 hours was about 8.4, down from 8.8. I'm going to try that idea of mixing tap and well water, and see how that goes.

Tulip i just tried your suggestion to shake it vigorously, it seemed to be very slightly lighter, but not by much :ermm:

As for the bogwood, i've heard of that, but as of now dont have any plans to add some to the tank. (tank isnt even set up yet), but if i cant lower the Ph, then i may consider adding some. The Substrate i'm using already has some wood pieces in it (miracle gro), but im not sure if it will be enough.

Peat and DW will lower your pH for a time, but once the tannins have leached out, the pH will eventually revert back to its natural level.

FYI: Bogwood, is kinda, sorta DW (drift wood).

I just did a few tests, and it seems after 48 Hours my Tap water dropped to about 7.4 Ph, while the Well Water increased all the way to 8.0.

I'm guessing this is because the Well water was way softer, allowing the Ph to skyrocket.

Back
Top Bottom