Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JUST get a bunch (maybe 10) ottos from Petsmart. They work great in my 10 gal!

However once they eat all the algae they can starve, it's not usually a good idea to get a fish just to eat something because if it eats it all it dies.

This is just my test unit. The test unit as currently posted is a new way of utilizing the algae scrubber concept. I can't tell you at this point that it is as effective as a waterfall scrubber, simply because it's a new concept/approach and is really only in a testing phase. This approach works better for smaller and sumpless tanks but sounds like it will be further refined over the rest of the year with additional methods to solve various construction implementation issues.

As far as my tank being a mess, consider that it has been running with only power heads and live rock since December. I scraped the glass once in the beginning of April and again a few weeks later, and it still looks pretty decently clear.

I have a large elephant ear leather and a couple of big tangs and I don't know if they are a contributing factor in algae growth or lack thereof, but the scrubber didn't go online until the beginning of April and really didn't grow anything of substance until the 3rd week, then I cleaned it a week ago and it really hasn't 'returned' to that growth level yet (going to be doing some mods soon that may change that).

Also I've only done one PWC of about 20 gallons (on a 120 with appr 100g actual water volume) since December and N=5 P~0.15ish (haven't tested in the past 2 weeks though)

And here are some pics right after I cleaned the glass

img_1950910_0_b0c016469b2a3c486710a9bc87df61b1.jpg

img_1950910_1_90c795630df7c8d0b4400a47fe5133c0.jpg

img_1950910_2_bf0ae6f9063880aa05bd954c54fe72db.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the majority of the stock in this tank is not mine, I'm holding it all for someone else who had to moved suddenly a year ago. Since then he has developed health problems and I've just been keeping it since then until he gets on his feet. So I don't do a lot of husbandry. I do however do a very excellent job of collecting frags that I have no place for.

That is a nice tank!! But I will confess, salwater is beyond my scope of experience! Perhaps, this type of scrubber setup is more suitable for sw, but as I said, maybe Im missing something here. :)

In-tank algae problems is pretty easy to fix in our FW systems.

The scrubbers is for all those poor cichlids that get crammed in the overstocked tanks. Scrubbers really help (not fix) the bad water quality.

That is a nice tank!! But I will confess, salwater is beyond my scope of experience! Perhaps, this type of scrubber setup is more suitable for sw, but as I said, maybe Im missing something here. :)

FW scrubbers grow different algae, longer stringy type in general from what I understand. They also reported grow faster. Either way, they are equally as suitable for both systems.

You mentioned that you had a planted tank and I didn't address this - a scrubber will out-compete plants in the aquarium for nutrients if you don't balance it properly. In most cases, scrubbers aren't really suitable for planted tanks.

In-tank algae problems is pretty easy to fix in our FW systems.

The scrubbers is for all those poor cichlids that get crammed in the overstocked tanks. Scrubbers really help (not fix) the bad water quality.

Easy is a relative term. Algae problems are the #1 topic on almost every forum I visit. People starting new tanks without knowing jack about the cycle etc seems to be #2 esp on FW forums. An algae scrubber solves both of these issues to a very large extent. Ammonia is algae's favorite food so starting an algae scrubber with a brand new tank can actually cause a "silent cycle" meaning that you will see little to no spike in Ammonia or Nitrite. The cycle will still happen, but it won't be damaging to the livestock.

A scrubber sized properly for the bio-load (feeding) of the system can definitely keep nutrients fully in check. Again, this is all my experience with the waterfall-style scrubber, not the UAS, but I have a feeling that in time the refinements will make it on par with the waterfall scrubber.

I modified my UAS last night and added a few gadgets

I cut a 1/2" PVC pipe lengthwise

img_1951813_0_28dd28d3c7f3cbbd1a236208a43d1712.jpg

Cut a piece of plastic from a report cover

img_1951813_1_55553a38e976e833ee2f0cf820483f5a.jpg

And wrapped it around the pipe. This forces the bubbles up the screen and allows for growth outward still

img_1951813_2_11103eae02a328721f4e892453eb5886.jpg

img_1951813_3_ed837df5da6d3aadaecdfa81dd20672a.jpg

img_1951813_4_d713ba6d7ab89814422ffb1ad4d1384a.jpg

Floyd's UAS Test, 2012-05-21 Part 3 - YouTube

Floyd's UAS Test, 2012-05-21 Part 5 - YouTube

There are other videos on my channel on my UAS also if you care to check them out

Everybody loves growth pictures:

Day 1:
hog.5-7.jpg

Day 2:
hog.5-8.jpg

Day 3:
hog.5-9.jpg

Day 4:
hog.5-10.jpg

Day 5:
hog.5-11.jpg

Day 6:
hog.5-12.jpg

Day 7:
hog.5-13.jpg

Day 8:
hog.5-14.jpg

Day 9:
hog.5-15.jpg

7 Days of growth after first cleaning:
hog.5-16.jpg

Video of first cleaning after 9 days of growth from a new screen:
UAS HOG.5 -- Day nine cleaning - YouTube

Video of 7 days of growth after the first cleaning:
UAS HOG.5 -- seven days - YouTube

Time to eat more TV dinners and save those trays :)

Wow thats super nice. Is it close the results you would get for the water-fall ATS?

When you floated the tray on top of the water, an idea came to me.

What if I tried a floating turf scrubber? Same concept.

It gives the same results when it grows the same amount of algae. Which right now it is. The main advantage to this hang-on-glass version is that it's out of the way.

Not sure if a floating version would help, since getting light to it would be hard and would probably get in the way.

SM, do you know if I could use polycarbonate instead of acrylic? I'm probably going a different route than a UAS. I'll build a box waterfall, such as the ones Floyd is manufacturing in his home.

Polycarbonate is harder to work with. It is softer and "grabbier", so if you haven't worked with acrylic before, I would not recommend working with PC. I was told that if I ever need to make something with PC, to use templates. That is, make an acrylic piece to the dims you need, then double-stick tape it to the PC and then use a flush trim bit to cut it to size. So why bother since you make the acrylic to the size you would need anyways.

IMO the only thing PC is good for is lids, because it has less propensity to warp.

You use the same bonding methods, but the bonds are not nearly as strong, thus the reason why you don't see any polycarbonate aquariums.

Here are the requirements for building a UAS.

Screen material:

1)
Use plastic canvas as the algae screen. Remember to roughen it up properly using a wood saw or hole saw. You can get plastic canvas at craft store (under sewing section) or sewing store or online at places like Everything Plastic Canvas Home Page or ebay. Screen should look like this:

ScreenHoleSaw.jpg

CanvasCompare.jpg

Lighting

2)
The lighting needs to be 1 watt per square inch (6.25 square cm) of screen material. A 3 by 4 inch screen is 12 square inches not 24. Make sure you have enough wattage and use a reflector if the light doesnot focus on screen. For fluorescent bulbs, it needs to have a spectrum of 2700k-3000k. For LEDs, it needs to be red 660nm. You can cut the wattage in half if you are using LED lights. In order for algae to grow, make sure that the light is on for 18 hours a day. Here are some bulbs and reflector type:

CFLtypes.jpg

BeerCan.jpg

Bubbles:

3)
The bubbles need to be rapid and large and distributed through out the screen evenly for algae to grow. The best way to do this is by slicing the air tubing. Make sure the air pump is good so that the bubbles can constantly flow across the screen for 24 hours a day. This is why you need bubbles:

WhyBubbles.jpg

Back
Top Bottom