magical color changing molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I know fish can change colors, but I had never seen it so dramatically as I did last night. I have two baby mollies who are probably about 2 months old, and about an inch long each. They are mostly black but with a white stomach and bright orange heads. Anyway, last night I turned on the light in their tank around midnight to show my friends my fish, and one of the baby mollies had become entirely orange! Pretty strange, I thought. :) She is back to her normal coloration today.

I have magic, color-changing mollies, too. My female dalmation molly (bright white with black spots) turned almost pure black. So did my male black molly with white spots. Now they are having babies, and the babies are white with black spots, like the mother used to be. I thought I was going crazy until I read comments online from other molly owners about the color changes they were seeing.

Orange sounds pretty dramatic! Interesting that yours changed back. Mine changed overnight about six months ago and have never reverted. The change seemed to coincide with the onset of breeding.

Not really related, but it is colour-changing!!! One of our hillstream loaches seems to have chameleon abilities as when it sits on anything light, it becomes lighter, and when it sits on something dark, it becomes much darker. Now, this fish isn't exactly transparent, as when it's on the tank sides facing the light, it is still dark, even if I put a piece of paper next to it!!! Clever little fish or what? :D

Back
Top Bottom