Magical food or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BL1ND1ND3X

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,
I went to my lfs and after buying my fish, I saw a display tank they had behind the register that had a pearl gourami in it. And it had a very deep red to it.
Now I know that male pearl gouramis get red but I didnt know they got that red, but I also haven't seen one in person so I guess I wouldn't know.
I told him that his pearl gourami was beautiful and he told me " thanks hes that color because we feed him special food." Stupid me didn't ask him what food it was.
Does anyone know what food he's talking about or is it just a bunch of baloney.
Sorry might be a dumb question but I'm just curious if he's telling the truth cause if he is I want some of that food!
Thank you everyone!

Could be any food that he finds has worked for him over the years. Find a good quality food through research that is aimed at a particular species of fish with their diet in mind and that's your best staple food. Most of these will have Astaxanthin in them which bring out the natural colours of fish.. especially reds. They use other things to bring out red too like paprika and chilli powder ect. There is also different things that will help other colours stand out as well such as egg yolk helping yellows to become vibrant. Boiled egg yolk is a great treat for some fish.

Could be any food that he finds has worked for him over the years. Find a good quality food through research that is aimed at a particular species of fish with their diet in mind and that's your best staple food. Most of these will have Astaxanthin in them which bring out the natural colours of fish.. especially reds. They use other things to bring out red too like paprika and chilli powder ect. There is also different things that will help other colours stand out as well such as egg yolk helping yellows to become vibrant. Boiled egg yolk is a great treat for some fish.

Ok thanks!
It looks like I have some shopping to do. LOL

For pearl gourami or any omnivorous fish I would get a couple different quality omnivorous flakes or pellets if required depending on the fish size, like new life spectrum, and omega one. I would use these as my staple and alternate feedings of them. I would also get some frozen blood worms or brine shrimp for a treat once or twice a week and something freeze dried for a treat as well like tubifex worms, or krill. I would also try to get it to eat some fresh veggies as well such as shelled peas or small bits of lettuce and some small bits of fruit like banana, grapes ect. What ever you an get it to eat. Don't feed it meat like beef, chicken or pork. Small insects that you catch and bugs would be great treats as well. That's what I do with omnivorous fish for a diet and has always worked great for years. Good luck.

For pearl gourami or any omnivorous fish I would get a couple different quality omnivorous flakes or pellets if required depending on the fish size, like new life spectrum, and omega one. I would use these as my staple and alternate feedings of them. I would also get some frozen blood worms or brine shrimp for a treat once or twice a week and something freeze dried for a treat as well like tubifex worms, or krill. I would also try to get it to eat some fresh veggies as well such as shelled peas or small bits of lettuce and some small bits of fruit like banana, grapes ect. What ever you an get it to eat. Don't feed it meat like beef, chicken or pork. Small insects that you catch and bugs would be great treats as well. That's what I do with omnivorous fish for a diet and has always worked great for years. Good luck.

Thanks I'll look into those different foods!

And I've always wondered about the insects, can I just go outside and catch random insects, like houseflies, ants, crickets, and so forth?

Yeah. If you do get insects outside make sure your in an area where no pesticides or fertilizers are used. And remember they can travel, so if any are used in your area I would stay away from getting insects outside.

Yeah. If you do get insects outside make sure your in an area where no pesticides or fertilizers are used. And remember they can travel, so if any are used in your area I would stay away from getting insects outside.

Ok yeah that's what I thought.
Just had my grass fertilized a week ago and my neighbors apply pesticides pretty often so I guess not.
Thanks anyway.

This will help some but I would bet his lighting has a lot to do with it.

ForumRunner_20131223_061256.jpg

New Life Spectrum makes a food that's designed to bring out more red specifically. I believe it just uses more krill, which is what flamingos eat that turns them from white to pink.

New Life Spectrum makes a food that's designed to bring out more red specifically. I believe it just uses more krill, which is what flamingos eat that turns them from white to pink.

Thanks, I did not know that about flamingos LOL
I thought that it was just natural

Back
Top Bottom