Male/Female Gouramis???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gourami2012

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone help me tell what gender my Dwarf Gouramis are. Thanks.

P.S. - Can you tell me what type of Dwarf Gouramis they are i.e. Sunset/Fire Red Dwarf Gourami.

Attachments

• IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 116
First One Is Male Secound Is Female Bit Dont Know Types Not Really In To Gouramis More Guppies

Hate to disagree, but I'm pretty sure the first one is a female and the second is a male. Females have a rounded dorsal fin and males have a pointed dorsal fin. They look like fire gouramis to me. I have one and thats the colors he has.

I must disagree as well. They are both males I believe. The first looks like it has lost some dorsal, but still male. JMO

Lol, i don't know who to go with three different answers. I know females are silvery coloured with a rounded dorsal fin. The second gourami is silvery but has a pointed fin so maybe they are both males. Thanks for the replies.

Sorry i was going by the anal fin like guppies my mistake

I must disagree as well. They are both males I believe. The first looks like it has lost some dorsal, but still male. JMO

I have to agree. They are both male... We carry both of these types at Petsmart, and we only ever get males in.

Sorry i was going by the anal fin like guppies my mistake

Thats okay... I could be wrong but I am pretty sure its *only* live bearers that have that particular sort of sexual dimorphism. Mollies, platies, swordtails, guppies, etc.

Anal fin shows differences in dwarf gouramis as well, just not the same kind as livebearers. :)

both male!
the dorsal fin is pointed in males. You can't really tell in the pictures though...

The telling sign in this situation is the color.
females have almost no color.

Back
Top Bottom