Mean Zebra Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jafoca

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had two Zebra Danios in a small Eclipse System 3 tank (3 gallon) for a year. I got this setup as a graduation gift, and initially there was a swordtale in there aswell, but i think the danios stressed it to death by chasing it around.

Right now one of the danios is segnificantly larger than the other, and he now chases the smaller one around quite a bit.

Both of these fish seem to be very healthy, active, and hungry, and have been so for a while now, but I'm interested in adding another fish to the aquarium. (I think it should handle 3 small fish, correct?)

I'm wondering if you all have any suggestions for a good hardy small fish that wouldn't be bossed around by the daino.

Thank you all for any advice you can offer.

IMO 3 gallons is small for zebra danios. These fish like to swim that's why they have those torpedo shaped bodies. Also they like to shoal, so I would keep them in larger groups than two. Since I think the tank is way too small for another danio, if you must, I would go for a bottem fish. Like a cory, though they also do better in at least pairs.

Zebras are schooling fish and they are very quick, very feisty, very obnoxious/bullying towards other fish and each other when not in a school, Zebras will harass slower more docile fish,and literally slowly eat alive any wounded/injured fish that can't get away
A school should be no less than 5-6 fish, preferably as many as possible.
When in a large school their picking/pestering will be divided amongst themselves.

I suggest getting rid of the Zebras, they are not appropriate and not viable tankmates for any other fish or themsleves in a small tank.
I'd advise getting a solitary fish or a very small pair for a 3gal tank.
The subject of appropriate fish for small tanks has been discussed here many times, and some great suggestions have been made.
Do a search to find these threads.

Maybe you could trade your danios in, but if you have had them for a year you may be attached. Your best bet would be to go for a bigger tank. Now that you have had a year of experience with the little tank go for more. You can find 10 gallons for 10 dollars, but if you are gonna go bigger I would try for at least a 29. Then you could add a few more danios and maybe something else. Good luck to you.

I agree with everyone else.....as you can see I'm a fan of the zebra danio myself and know how much they prefer the comfort of a shoal in a larger envirnment. If you want to keep such a small tank and do what is best for your fish, either upgrade or trade in your danios for a single fish such as a betta. Good luck!

If you enjoy fishkeeping, and I assume you do since you are on an online discussion board, it might be time to get a new tank. 3g is just too small to do much with, and it is just not that much to get a new larger tank. If you really like the Eclipse tanks, try the 12g nanocube from Drs. Foster and Smith for 99.00. Or, you can go even larger for a little more money.

Minimum for zebra danios is really 10 gallons, 20 being much better. You really should see if it's in your budget to upgrade. 20 gallon tanks usually don't cost that much, from what I've seen.

well.... as soon as i get a job I will get a larger tank (i'm leaning towards 29 gal, because I'd like quite a few fish)

I need the job first because im facing some expensive repair bills for my car.

I suppose i will be leaving the dainos alone in the tank for now. I really would have liked a larger tank, I thnk my mother and sister were thinking i could take this one to college with me.

Off to apply I guess...

jafoca said:
well.... as soon as i get a job I will get a larger tank (i'm leaning towards 29 gal, because I'd like quite a few fish)

I need the job first because im facing some expensive repair bills for my car.

I suppose i will be leaving the dainos alone in the tank for now. I really would have liked a larger tank, I thnk my mother and sister were thinking i could take this one to college with me.

Off to apply I guess...
Words of advice, spoken from experience...
Get the largest tank you can afford, if your truly hooked their never large enough :wink:
But plan the total expenditure very carefully or you'll run out of money.
Aquarium, stand-n-hood, lighting, filtration, filtermedia, heaters, thermometers, substrate, decor = plants/rocks/wood/ect, water conditioners, chemical tests, cleaning tools, FISH and finally the electricity bill...
Anybody see anything I missed?
These can add up very quickly and be very exspensive, so plan everything you need before you buy and shop around, around town and on-line.
Sure you can buy a 10gal tank for $10.00, but everything else brings the cost of setup to $60.00 or more...

Also, if you have a petsmart in your area check on them for specials. I got my 75 gallon tank WAY on sale February of last year. There are 'peak' sales seasons for fish products and non-peak seasons. During the non-peak they try to entice people to buy. I don't know all the non-peak, but I know there's usually a big one just after Christmas and during the middle of summer.

Earlier this year I purchased my 20T from petsmart also heavily discounted. It came with hood, light, and tank for $60. I picked up a heater for $15 and a biowheel filter for about $25. I never even went in the store with intention of buying a new tank, though I had been thinking about getting a larger one to house livebearers and live plants. I went in there originally for food and carbon, but I couldn't pass up on the sale. o_O Resistance is futile!

I would say though that a larger tank would probably not be a good idea to transport to college. If you want a fish at college, get a 5 gallon with a betta in it. If you do buy a bigger tank, be sure a family member can care for your tank after you are gone off to college. Otherwise, don't invest until you're out on your own some day.

Kerrinne said:
Also, if you have a petsmart in your area check on them for specials. I got my 75 gallon tank WAY on sale February of last year. There are 'peak' sales seasons for fish products and non-peak seasons. During the non-peak they try to entice people to buy. I don't know all the non-peak, but I know there's usually a big one just after Christmas and during the middle of summer.

Earlier this year I purchased my 20T from petsmart also heavily discounted. It came with hood, light, and tank for $60. I picked up a heater for $15 and a biowheel filter for about $25. I never even went in the store with intention of buying a new tank, though I had been thinking about getting a larger one to house livebearers and live plants. I went in there originally for food and carbon, but I couldn't pass up on the sale. o_O Resistance is futile!

I would say though that a larger tank would probably not be a good idea to transport to college. If you want a fish at college, get a 5 gallon with a betta in it. If you do buy a bigger tank, be sure a family member can care for your tank after you are gone off to college. Otherwise, don't invest until you're out on your own some day.

Question for you: how do you see which items are heavily discounted at this petsmart? I have one in my town (was there today) and all the tanks seemed on the expensive side... I think their 29 gal was over 60$, compared to 34$ at the local meijers (supermarket with pet section)

I did see a really cool 47? gal bowfront tank that would be the coolest tank ever!(it looked to be discounted for some reasson, as it was not with the other tanks) but tank+stand = $$$ so anyway.. I dont know what size im going to end up getting... 29 gal seems like a good size, but i don't really like the tall shape of the tank I have seen. The best LFS i have been to thusfar (has a ton of cool fish, with a lot of SW) has nothing between a 10 gal and a 75+ gal tank+stand combo type thing... so I dont really know where to look.

I think i could probably build a decent tank stanf out of 2X4's, so I just need to find a job and a tank that I like ;)

Thanks for all of the guidance

BTW: even this small fish tank did not end up going to college with me, because my room was TINY, so this new tank will be staying at home aswell. College isnt far away, so I can take care of it (and pass on some responsability to my mom)

Thanks again!

If you are off to college soon, maybe the 3 gallon with a betta is good choice. They are very pretty fish and easy to keep. Bigger aquariums are a pain to move frequently!! Just a thought...

Oops, I didn't read this last page before I added my two cents, so disregard that last remark I made!! lol :oops:

ps. Are you sure Mom wants the responsibility of your tank????

she has a white dove she keeps in the same room as the aquarium would be, therefore feedings wouldnt be a problem. (or i could get an autofeeder if she wanted maybe) and additionally I am home weekends and usually 1 day during the week.... so it should be fine, i hope

Back
Top Bottom