Mild predator for community 48g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dean86

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, after selling up and not having any tanks ive just started up again and have this issue. today Ive been given a well stocked 48g bowfronted jewel aquarium, now the previous owner must have had a soft spot for live bearers as its mainly guppys, mollys, platys, and a swordtail and 2 corys. Now and its over run with fry which no shop will take or that I can do anything with. Now as brutal as it sounds my options are to utilise or euthanise.
Now, my tank being a community I need something which is not overly aggressive but will eat, preferably whole fry and baby guppys, I had an African leaf fish in a past tank which was suited to keeping with bleeding heart tetras etc but would easily swallow an adult guppy so is out of the question in this instance. Id like something with a similar temperament but not capable of eating an adult guppy.

This may not be possible and I may be looking for something that doesnt exist but if anybody knows of a species that may fit the bill please share. I am keen to massivley reduce its current stock so I can add 4 more corys and a build up groups with its current residents as I am aware that the fish I have need to be kept in small groups

some people strongly disagree with what I have posted and I understand the morality behind their opinions but please spare me the inhumanity lectures. if you can offer an alternative solution without additional tanks then I am all ears but please bare in mind my lfs will not take them and I will dont have time to waste on potential buyers messing me around.

Thanks

Dean

Sent from my SGP521 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dean where do u live (if its possible ill gladly take them) otherwise uhmm angle fish or red tailed catfish could work but they will have to be the right age and size

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it would be better to euthanize with clove oil, it is supposed to be quick and painless, if you put a predator in he will only eat some and tear at the others, not good, the best plan would be to ask around your friends etc. if they would take them.......

Im in the Midlands uk. Some of them are lovely colours like ive never seen before so I can only assume the fry will inherit those to some extent. Dont red tailed cats grow enormous? Im sure ive seen one about 1.5ft long eat a fish the size of hand in a lfs. Angels are nice.. Dont know why I didnt think of that to be honest

Yea but redtails takes forever to get that big and alot of peeps wants a large redtail...and yea angles are good

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They would eat everything in there though, wouldnt they? I had some pictus cats once and every night a few fish would mysteriously disappear

A red tail cat is never a good option for a small tank.

How about you just donate them to a lfs?

Yeah my lfs wont take fish unless youve bought them there and they are still in their bag. Or they die and will refund you but they will not take fish from a customer tank. Seems hypocritical when you see the state of some of their stock but its their policy. I like butterfly fish but arent they primarily surface dwellers would they swim down for food? Looks like its gonna be angels ill look for some interesting colours, will they nip at my adult guppys?

Back
Top Bottom